Author Topic: Radio lights stay on long after ignition off - draining battery  (Read 4250 times)

jenshurson

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Replaced engine in my 1999 9-3 and since then I notice that radio lights remain on indefinitely after ignition off. pulling fuse at night so that I can avoid dead battery in morning but wondering whether there's any other way to address this problem. Can anyone help?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Radio lights stay on long after ignition off - draining battery
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2019, 09:06:35 PM »
Welcome! :)

The most likely cause is that the centre of the ignition switch is not popping up the tiny amount it should when the key is removed.

You may need to remove the barrel and clean it.  It's not a difficult job.  Twist the plastic surround and remove it.  it's held in place with a bayonet fitting.  Then turn the key to "on" and using a bit of coathanger bent at 90 deg (or a small allen key) and push it into the hole in the side of the ignition barrel and push it in to release the latch.  Pull the barrel up and out.

Clean.  Don't use oil, it attracts dirt.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

jenshurson

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2019, 09:39:46 PM »
Thank you much for the info. I did remove, clean, and reinstall cylinder and no change. Radio lights remain on even when cylinder removed. Any other thoughts about what could be causing this?
thanks in advance for any help.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2019, 12:17:30 AM »
The bit that you removed is just the lock.  The actual electrical switch beneath is a separate unit and more difficult to get at, but they are known to fail sometimes.

The barrel you removed does have to pop-up.  Does it do this, or is the spring not doing this?  It's ages since I did this and I can't remember if the spring is in the barrel or in the switch beneath. But if that is stuck or broken, it could cause your issues.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.