Author Topic: DAB Radio upgrade for 9-3  (Read 5897 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
DAB Radio upgrade for 9-3
« on: 06 March 2017, 08:47:46 AM »
I've got annoyed with the poor radio reception in the 9-3 and I'm not paying £220 for the dual amplifier upgrade kit.

This led me to look at what options are out there that would also give me DAB radio and found this:

http://www.pure.com/car-audio/products/highway-600

As it also does bluetooth streaming/calls it looks like it may be a great solution for the car although I'm not sure where I'd put the control unit.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm hoping that using DAB will let me reliably listen to the radio again although I note that the DAB coverage maps have huge holes in East Anglia and Scotland. Means I may have to keep a big playlist on my phone for my holiday later in the year.  ::)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: DAB Radio upgrade for 9-3
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
My experience has been that it's difficult to get reception in all areas without using a decent external antenna- and I can't see how you would easily substitute one for the supplied unit. However it may have an inbuilt amplifier which will help in marginal areas. Using a USB power adaptor will however seriously degrade performance- most aren't adequate;y filtered and splat all over the DAB spectrum. Best to connect it via an Aux in- the FM modulator will be a bit cheap and nasty.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
I was already intending to connect it via the aux in anyway, I'm not convinced it can be any worse than the built in radio reception!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2017, 05:41:11 PM »
When I fitted the alternative head unit in the 9-5, I fitted a combined AM/FM/GPS/GSM/DAB aerial in the roof, in place of the shark fin, and abandoned the whole of the original aerial system.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2017, 11:30:33 AM »
I was looking at fitting DAB into a 1980s vehicle to convert the existing radio. During my research and talking to friends and colleagues it was notable that two people had used DAB On Wheels who were very helpful and assisted in overcoming some problems.

With all consideration I have now decided to go down the route of a retro-styled radio and abandon the old radio/cassette unit that was in the car. Although this is a much more expensive option I just felt it was the simplest owing to a lack of space in the car that I'm fitting this into.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
I did the same.  I tried a DAB on wheels kit.  It was OK, but bulk as a dash add-on.  I also had the Parrot add-on as well.  When the satnav unit failed, I bit the bullet and got a newer satnav with DAB/FM/AM/DVD/CD/iPhone/Bluetooth, etc. all-in-one.

The only problem was that the Kenwood I bought was not well developed and has many faults and niggles.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.