Author Topic: Soft top - using Renovo over the top of Autoglym proofer?  (Read 8531 times)

davidguthrie

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • Saab 9-3 2.0T (2004) convertible owner
    • View Profile
Soft top - using Renovo over the top of Autoglym proofer?
« on: 10 April 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
Being keen and under-informed, I got one of those Autoglym twin-packs for cleaning and proofing my soft top.
I'm not delighted with the results and, guided by what I now have read in STT, would like to use the Renovo products, most likely the one that has added UV protection to the proofing.
My dilemma is: will  the Renovo ultra proofer work when simply applied over the Autoglym stuff?
If not, what (doubtless laborious) method should I use to be able to Renovofy my lid?
David Guthrie

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Soft top - using Renovo over the top of Autoglym proofer?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2018, 05:59:53 PM »
I've never had a convertible.

But some of the owners use the Johnsons Baby Shampoo - apparently it's the Blue one.  Then the Renovo colouring dye.  Finally it's waterproofed with Fabsil.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
Yes, I'd heard of Johnson's Baby Shampoo - just wonder if it'll shift the ?? chemical Autoglym contains. With Renovo's being water-based products. Seen Fabsil mentioned too, though some prefer Renovo throughout.
But thanks for the tip!
David Guthrie

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2018, 11:30:48 PM »

I've not used AG soft top products and I've never gone down the Fabsil route. Only Renovo

The Midget that I owned for years was a vinyl roof, which of all things I used Dubbin on, mostly in an attempt to waterproof the stitching. How it has survived this far is astonishing because on reflection I would have thought Dubbin might have rotted the vinyl by now!

I did my own research when I acquired my convertible SAAB and my cleaning routine would literally take an entire weekend and was exhausting when done properly - but boy, did the car go lots better after! ;D

I would always clean the roof on a separate day to the rest of the car - this was due to the use of snow-foam and the drifting mist from the pressure washer getting the roof wet, however its a bit of a dilemma which to do first because Renovo can stain the paint a bit (not permanently) but its a bit of a pain to remove. But then I didn't want snow-foam drifting onto my pristine clean roof!

As we are talking just hood this is what my routine was...

Using a medium clothes brush, thoroughly brush the dust off the hood.
Using a stiff nylon nail brush I would open up the gutter and get all the build up of dirt and dust out from the fold. You will be amazed how quickly that gets fouled up. Don't go too crazy because there is a slight risk that you are going to wear the stitching.
Follow this up with a good vacuuming and maybe vacuum in conjunction with brushing. Try and remove any green lichen that might be setting in.

Following Renovo's instructions use Renovo canvas cleaner (A point to note here; MAKE DOUBLY SURE YOU ARE USING RENOVO PRODUCTS FOR CANVAS AND NOT FOR VINYL - the bottles look similar!)

I had a jug and paint brushes marked solely for use with each of these products and nothing else.
Brushing the Renovo on to a dry hood is a bit of a pain because it has a tendency to run off down the glass and paint. I think this isn't too much of a problem - its the Ultra Proofer that tends to stain the paint. (Sometimes, if I was not just doing a quick 'interim' job, I would mask up the car with huge sheets of brown greaseproof paper using blue low-tack masking tape easily available from any auto-paint supplier or fleabay). Using a decent paintbrush (4") - work the product into the warp and weft of the fabric. It's hard work but its worth it.
Once the hood was properly cleaned and fully dry, brush and vacuum it again, then use the Renovo Ultra Proofer in the same manner with a separate brush just for that product.

If the hood is starting to look a little faded there is another Renovo product called 'Soft top Reviver' - assuming your hood is black, buy the black version. Although I had a huge bottle of that I never got around to using it but a fellow down the road used some on his BMW and it did a very good job as far as I could see, but his BMW was old and the roof looked really tired.
I never felt my SAAB had got to that stage.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need further info

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2018, 12:00:09 AM »
You're up late, Max!
Thanks for all that. But the problem is I have proofed with Autoglym and I need to know what to do if I want to go over to Renovo, given that the AG might interfere with the absorption of the (water-based) Renovo; I don't know what the AG is based on. Maybe it's just a question of letting the AG proofing degrade over time then shampoo out any residues, do the hoovering and brushing and then applying the series of Renovo products.
The roof is reasonably black: I just think it could be better!
David Guthrie

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
Night shift  :(

Leave the roof for a while before doing the Renovo treatment - as you have surmised yourself - just let it degrade and start again.
I don't think it will harm anything going over it with Renovo now, but get your money's worth out of the AG proofing before using the next product.

It might be worth looking at Meguiars products and see if they do anything for soft tops.
I use Meg's Quick-Clay kit; Sheepskin Washmitt; Gold Class shampoo; Tyre shine; Glass Cleaner (superb stuff). Their products are really good. They even make a nice wash bucket complete with a grit-guard now.  ;)
All available in Halfrauds
Unfortunately not Renovo as far as I know.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2018, 08:31:23 AM by Max Headroom »

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2018, 10:24:00 AM »
I hope you're on commission with those companies!
Yes, I think I'll let AG do it's thang for a while, then get some Renovo - you're right, Halfords don't seem to do Renovo.
Night shifts, ah, how well I remember them ....
David
David Guthrie

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2018, 08:25:54 PM »
Night shifts are hated with a passion but I like the job and it pays reasonably well

No commission unfortunately - these are just tried and tested products by me, that coincidentally get consistently good reviews over at DETAILING WORLD as well. Detailing World is a good source of information and techniques but be warned, it gets addictive!

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever, in fact I'm as mercenary as you can get;  I prefer Colinite 845 Insulator wax to anything else that I've tried - it's particularly good on silver and/or white cars which are notoriously difficult to make look shiny. Annoyingly not available in H'frauds but also far better than anything Megs do.
Meguiars products are easily available in Halfrauds and their lambswool mitts last years - put into perspective, the Halfrauds lambswool mitt drops to pieces in a matter of months

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2018, 10:48:03 AM »
Update: the AG proofer seems to have done the job nicely. Bejewelled with lots of bonny beads all over the roof after last night's rain. So, I'll let the AG run its course and then look at Renovo or maybe Meguiar.
Incidentally, the Renovo fellow I spoke to (most helpful) told me they pulled their products from Halford's who they said didn't feature their products well enough, favouring AG.
David Guthrie

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2018, 11:24:26 AM »
I'm surprised.
...And that must have been MANY years ago as I dont ever recall having seen Halfords stock Renovo in the last 30 years or more.
I agree Halfrauds have a huge shelf dedicated to AG products and Meguiars stuff seems to be more freely available these days - even a decent sized Meguiars wash bucket and a grit-guard to fit it has appeared lately!

If the AG stuff is working - why not stick with it?

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2018, 11:34:39 AM »
What he said, Mark. The reason I think I'll go with Renovo is that I'd like to use their Reviver to get a really nice black finish and then I'd probably be advised to use Renonvo's proofer as it is also water-based. I have roll upon roll of Frog tape ready to blank off paintwork! But, all in good time ...
David Guthrie

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
You will need more than Frog-tape! - I needed a huge roll of that brown-paper used to mask off areas for painting such as THIS

davidguthrie

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2018, 02:42:36 PM »
Must be splashy stuff!
David Guthrie

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
Its not so much splashy as runny; until it soaks into the warp/weft of the fabric it tries to bead and run off, so you need to be pretty swift working it in with the brush. But when it does run off, it tends to stain glass and paint. Its not permanent but it does take quite some effort to get it off the glass and paint once dried on...
So always proof the roof BEFORE you do the wash/polish/wax routine  ;)