Author Topic: Winter tyres- do you need to tell your insurers?  (Read 33992 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tyres- do you need to tell your insurers?
« Reply #15 on: 05 April 2012, 03:54:59 PM »
I'd have said it wasn't time to take them off quite yet, when I realised that I was going to be taking them off at the end of April and the car would only have them on for 5 months of the year I figured I was better off just using winter tyres all year around.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 April 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
My guy said take them off as he could see mine were wearing in the warm weather - when off you could see he was right as well compared to when they went on

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #17 on: 05 April 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Ours are still on the cars.  The Germans use the rule of thumb "O to O".  Oktober to Ostern - October to Easter.  And GB is further north.

I'm keeping mine on until the end of the month when I get back from my holidays.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2012, 06:20:01 PM »
My guy said take them off as he could see mine were wearing in the warm weather - when off you could see he was right as well compared to when they went on

Well the ones you swapped with will be worn too when you change back over in the winter ;D

I've noticed with the Nokian WR G2 that are on my car that wear has so far been really good, I've done over 10k on them over 2 winters and 1 summer having swapped them once and they are all worn to around no less than 6mm, when I swapped the backs to the front last autumn it was only the fronts that had worn significantly. I figure that this wear pattern should suit me well as with another swap front to rear they'll most likely all be 4mm by next summer and I can wear them out and replace with new all round for the following winter.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 April 2012, 10:55:27 PM »
Thas Easter tomorrow Will.. :)

Mine went on Nov and had a smidgen under 8mm and now have approx 6.5mm and I've done around 3k on them in that time but that does include my car trailer trip to Wetherby and back so I'd assume that gave them a hard time in temp above 7.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 April 2012, 11:09:55 PM »
Wow :o which tyres are they? They don't sound very long lived  :( Of course with my Nokians I'm concerned that they will get accelerated wear over this summer and be below 4mm by January  :-\

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 April 2012, 12:06:09 AM »
I've run nokians all year for a few years now. I do 22k pa and noticed little difference between summer and winter wear.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 April 2012, 10:02:02 AM »
Mine are Avon IceTouring ST and were absolutely fantastic in the snow and ice we did have. I also found them superb in very heavy rain when roads awash - they felt very steady if a little noisy but that could have been the amount of water they were dispersing as I noticed far more spray in my rear view mirror than my Conti's

Mark B

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2012, 09:16:24 PM »
Surely if the manufacturer of your car specifies a wheel and tyre spec for summer and one for winter (whether just a lower speed rating winter tyre or a narrower wheel/winter tyre combo), then these are manufacturer approved equipment and not a modification and therefore no notification is necessary.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
That's true because you are only doing what manufacturer says but some insurance companies will try and cop out if you don't actually tell them you've swapped over - they may be the ones that check the ambient temp on that day and say - wow it was 12 deg so your tyres suck. They are the companies to avoid. Thankfully I've never used one of those.

Nothing hurts a simple call just to say 'I've swapped my wheels over for the winter...'. Mine just said thank you for telling us but as they are spec'd for your car then you're fine anyway'