Author Topic: EGR Solenoid valve  (Read 7902 times)

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
Re: EGR Solenoid valve
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2016, 08:24:03 PM »
We are getting above my level of knowledge of vehicle electronics now!  Earlier in this thread I wrote abot having broken one of the spigots on a solenoid valve which I replaced with one off ebay as the part from a local Vauxhall dealer was over £150! Could this possibly be faulty?

I have attached the diagram I made of the vacuum hose connections which I drew as I removed each old hose - which were all degrading badly.  I cannot find anywhere in WIS a diagram showing the layout of the vacuum hoses which is why I made my own.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 July 2016, 10:26:40 PM »
The diagram looks vaguely correct, there is one in WIS under intake system functional diagram. What year is your car? I wonder if the AA guy attached a code reader that won't talk to the Saab diesels pre-2004 or whenever it was that they would talk OBDII.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2016, 06:32:09 AM »
The vacuum hose diagram I posted was incorrect - it was drawn before I removed the battery and battery box so I could see exactly where all the hoses went.  I used 4mm vacuum hose as the spigots on the solenoid valves were 5mm diameter and the technical support chap at SamcoSport, whose hose I bought said I needed 4mm on a 5mm spigot. The overpriced OEM hose is 3.8mm so .2mm isn't going to make a great deal of difference. The correct vacuum hose diagram is attached which matches one I found on anaother forum.  The one in WIS is very confusing and of no help at all.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2016, 06:38:22 AM by collywobble »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 July 2016, 11:12:26 AM »
I'd be wary of just relying on things found online as I've said before the hoses for the vacuum system did vary slightly across model years although I think that complete re-plumbing of them was on the 9-3 and not the 9-5.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 July 2016, 10:09:21 PM »
And the cause of  the problem was - a loose earth wire on the fuel pump!!!!!!!!
Which the AA man couldn't find.......I think I will be changing my breakdown service provider ASAP.

So nothing I did wrong when replacing the leak off pipes and vacuum hoses and no expensive ECU repair.

My friend who owns the garage I took it to said it drove really nicely too - not bad for a 167,000 miler.!

I have no discovered another potential problem which I will start another topic on.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #20 on: 28 July 2016, 11:37:32 PM »
Nice cheap fix!! :)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 July 2016, 08:41:38 AM »
Sounds good! It sounded dodgy on his diagnostic that the ECU wouldn't talk and was spitting out the wrong voltage. Glad you got it sorted so simply.