Author Topic: DOOR MIRROR IDENTIFICATION  (Read 5910 times)

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
DOOR MIRROR IDENTIFICATION
« on: 10 April 2017, 07:43:33 PM »
Rather than try to remove the passenger door mirror from our car and refurbish it I have decided to buy a secondhand one from that well known internet auction site, and refurbish in my own time it so I am not under pressure from SWMBO! Now I am fully aware that this is full of pitfalls, not the least being the inability of many of the sellers on ebay to accurately describe what they are selling. I can identify what year the mirrors fit but some of the sellers mention 5-pin connectors and the electrical diagram in WIS for the correct mirror for our car (2003 MY Linear- electrically heated , manual folding, no memory) only shows 3 wires going to the connector!

Is there any simple way to identify the correct mirror from a photograph?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: DOOR MIRROR IDENTIFICATION
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2017, 08:23:43 PM »
If your car has a folding mirror, then it's the later type that started in 2003.  They are all the same shape after that, and many of the bits that make up the head part are the same as that on the 9-3 from 2003.

The good part is that the plastic parts are all the same, and so is the glass, for all the mirrors of that age.  So you could dismantle it and refurb and paint all the bits you want to and they could be fitted quite quickly into your existing mirror metal bits.    If your folding action is bad, then you do need to replace it all.  I think that my current mirrors are a mishmash of bits from many mirrors!! :)

But, you need to look at three different wiring diagrams to sort them out.  There is one for non-memory with the three wires you mention.  but there is also another with three wires via the second connector that are for the folding.  And then there is a third for the heated element which adds another two wires.  So for the mirror you say you have, your should have eight wires.

The memory mirror would have another four.

If the mirror you buy is a memory mirror, by mistake, that function is entirely controlled in the mirror motor, so you could swap the motors and the short loom and connector. It involves a bit of excavation of mastic seal, but I've done that twice.

The hinge in the mirror does not come apart.  The hinge is a tube which is crimped in place and can only be dismantled by destruction.  Wires go up the tube on the folding part and cannot be withdrawn.  The folding motor is hidden inside the casting and also cannot be removed.  There is a small black box on the back of the frame, which is the overload protector which shuts the fold off at the end of travel or other resistance.  When it fails, the mirror fold stops halfway.  That also cannot be removed without cutting wires.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2017, 08:25:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply Will.  I need to replace the whole mirror as the metal part of it is badly corroded and it is getting harder and harder to fold it in. What is strange though is that it is only the passenger side mirror that is badly corroded but the drivers side one has only a couple of small patches of corrosion which I can easily paint without removing the mirror.

We live about 200 yards from a tidal inlet off the River Taw estuary in North Devon so the air is pretty salty - not a good combination with anything aluminium!

I am going to paint the metal part after first priming it with a non-ferrous metal primer (which it probably never had when it was first made) and then spray it with a satin black car paint, and then keep it well polished!

I think I will have to ask the ebay sellers which model 9-5 the mirror has come from to be certain of getting the correct one.

I do find sewage treatment process much easier to deal with!

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
This listing on ebay says the mirror has a 5 pin connector - can only see 3 in the photo. Is this mirror off a Linear as the seller has trouble understanding a simple question!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2017, 07:04:54 PM »
I don't think that mirror is complete.  I can see a green and a grey wire, and that looks like the feed to the mirror adjustment only.  That's the left/right, up/down adjustment.

There should be other wires to the motor for the folding motor.  And two more for the heater element.  That needs two ten pin connectors at the point in that picture.

As said above there are three separate wiring diagrams for the three functions.  But they all refer to the three connectors involved.  H42-4 is the big connector in the door hinge.  H10-12 & H10-14 are the two connectors where the mirror attaches to the door.  Each picture shows which pin number is used.

The Mirror adjust...

The folding mechanism...

And the heating element feed...

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
Here's a picture of the connectors in mine, which has auto-dim as well so a couple of extra wires in connector H10-14.

« Last Edit: 11 April 2017, 07:10:13 PM by sgould »

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2017, 07:50:04 PM »
Thanks Will!  As you might have guessed by now auto electrics are not my thing and all I could find on WIS is the wiring diagram for the mirror adjustment, 3 wires, grey, geen and yellow. so as our car is a Linear with just electrical adjustment of the mirror and the heating element which operates when you switch the heated rear window on I should also have 2 wires for this , 1 black and 1 black/brown, which to my understanding is 5 wires = 5 pins! Or am I missing something. The WIS shows just a 3 pin connector for the electrical adjustment for the non - PMM mirror (section 8 - Body, in sub-section Glass, windows and mirrors), and two separate connectors for the heating element under Heating element , door mirror, passenger door (207P).

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2017, 08:16:16 PM »
This listing on ebay says the mirror has a 5 pin connector - can only see 3 in the photo. Is this mirror off a Linear as the seller has trouble understanding a simple question!

That mirror looks complete to me if you're expecting 5 pins, 3 big pins at the bottom and then 2 smaller pins at the top? This would match up with the photo of the connector sgould has given where there are 3 big terminals at the bottom of the connector and the rest of the connectors are smaller ones? 2 wires for heating and 3 for the adjustment?

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2017, 08:46:31 PM »
That makes perfect sense Audax!  The seller when asked the question which model 9-5 it came off of replied the mirrors all look the same on 9-5's!
« Last Edit: 11 April 2017, 10:05:53 PM by collywobble »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2017, 09:08:28 PM »
Yes, a closer look at your photo and I can see the two small pins.

This is the wire colour plan for the mirror door connector.  It shows all the possible wires for those mirrors with all the options, so you won't have as many wires

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2017, 04:55:34 PM »
The mirror I bought on ebay is in very good condition so today I decided to start taking it apart to give it a clean up before replacing the existing one on my car.  The easy part was getting the mirror glass out but there was no lock ring holding the mirror glass on.  Also the Lucar connectors for the heating element have either been repaired or replaced at some time. Is it possible that the mirror glass is a non-OEM replacement or is the lock ring just misssing?  Photos attached to show what I found.  The mirror gass was very firm, far firmer than the mirror glasses on the car already. I have also tried to remove the two plastic covers as per the instructions in WIS but with no luck - must be a knack to it!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2017, 05:57:34 PM »
What year is the car?  Up to 2002 the mirror just clipped onto the outer circle of the mirror motor.  If your car is 2002 model year, then it's the correct bit.  If your car is 2003 model year onwards, it will fit the door fixing, but the head unit is a different shape.

Here's the early one I had...

« Last Edit: 02 May 2017, 05:59:06 PM by sgould »

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2017, 07:38:36 PM »
My car is a 2003 MY but I have no idea what model year car the one I have purchased came off except that it is the same style as my car has i.e. face-lift car with corroding alloy mirror housings! From the photo you have attached to your reply the glass is identical to yours apart from the second triangular metal piece on the long side being missing! Would this glass have been the original or has the car the mirror came off had the glass replaced at some time and are they interchangeable with the glass that uses the lock ring?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2017, 07:55:19 PM »
Check the glass shape against the other side.  1998-2002 glass is a different shape to the 2003 on glass.

The triangular metal pieces are springs to steady the glass and prevent it shaking. it's the early glass.  Also check the position of the electrical heater spade connectors.

The later glass has no spring stabilisers and the spade connectors are smaller and angled across the corner.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2017, 08:15:43 PM »
The glass in the ebay mirror is a different shape to the one on my car which explains why the wiring to the heating element in the glass has been bodged up.  The mirror housing itself however is exactly the same shape so I presume I can just swap over the glass in the original mirror when I replace the housing, at least when I have got the plastic covers off!