Author Topic: Changing handbrake cable  (Read 6036 times)

paddysaab

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Changing handbrake cable
« on: 07 April 2012, 01:18:04 AM »
Hi Guys
Quick question. Do I really have to take out seats and carpet to change a handbrake cable or is there some secret method known only to the gurus on this forum. It just seems like a huge amount of stripping out to get to one little plastic clip.
Thanks

Paul @ Kippen

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Changing handbrake cable
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
paddysaab,

You can fiddle things through without taking the seats out.  Though I've done this job a few times I can't remember all the details.  To me that means it was fairly obvious and straightforward.  One thing I do remember is to attach a piece of stout wire to the end of the old cable at the handbrake end.  Use the old cable to pull it through then use the wire to pull the new one in.  This gets around all the monkeying about trying to get the cable above the tank.  I've known people drop the tank to get it back in.

Paul @ Kippen.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2012, 05:49:08 PM »
make sure its attached well - Ive had stuff come apart in similar situations and open a whole can of worms

paddysaab

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
Right so, it looks like I should be able to fiddle things through by taking out the centre console and feeling for the little clip. Might have to loosen the seat to make a little room under the carpet and slacken the tank mount slightly. If it goes wrong, I'll just have to do it the hard way ;D
Thanks for the confidence boost

Thorfinn

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2012, 01:43:36 PM »
...but in my experience, it's no big deal removing the seats, although the Torx bolts at the front can be a bit fiddly. And be careful with the electrical connectors (at least 2 per seat). But once the seats are out - and you've got a nice new scratch on the paintwork caused by the sharp corners of the seat rails as you hoist them out of the car ::) - then you've got so much more room to work with.

racingsnake

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2012, 02:00:15 AM »
I cheated last time and cut a little flap in the carpet, once I had finished it all went back together and you can't see where I cut it.