Author Topic: When is an Anni not an Anni??  (Read 5630 times)

Thorfinn

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
When is an Anni not an Anni??
« on: 14 April 2012, 01:39:18 PM »
My impulse-buy  9000 Anni is becoming more of a Project Car than I anticipated...haven't had 17 failure points on an MOT test for a while! (And NEVER with a SAAB...)
Mostly standard stuff - CV joint boot, various bushes, those bloody headlights, and of course (oh Gawd) the ABS warning light, which has been intermittent for a while but decided to become permanent just in time for the MOT.
Anyway, my point is...The car was sold to me as an Anniversary model. It is 1997, Scarabe Green, leather upholstery - so far so good - but ordinary steering wheel, no SAAB "Bomber" logo on the leathers, no cruise control etc etc.
So is it just a standard 1997 9000?
In a way it's no big deal, I was mis-sold the car in a variety of ways but that's "Caveat Emptor" for you. Just wondered what makes an Anni a real Anni.
Thank you for listening....

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: When is an Anni not an Anni??
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2012, 04:39:29 PM »
The main thing with an Anniversary is that it will have the Aero style body kit. I've seen a few without the aircraft logo in the seats, not sure if cruise was standard or not.

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2012, 04:40:11 PM »
Based on what you have described, then no it is not a Anniversary.
Should have Ronal wheels, though later ones did have deep dish.

Other things to notice: No chrome bumper trim (should be plain like an Aero).
Wood dash.

Her is a correct one:

As you say the interior if black should look like this with the logo on the seat backs

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2012, 05:30:04 PM »
I've seen a few that were supplied with different wheels as they were a no cost option at the time I believe, the body kit is the biggest indicator as to what the car is.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2012, 02:07:50 PM »
The 1998 2.3FPT anni's had 3 spoke 16" rims rather than the 8 spoke 15" rims.

chris b

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2012, 08:24:49 PM »
Hi, from the Saab 9000 Anniversary brochure (1998 edition), the differences are:
6x15" silver spoke wheels.  6.5 x16" on the full turbo (and some later lower powered annis too).  Standard cars generally had 6x15" 3-spoke wheels.  Wheels are easily changed though.
Aero body kit - this is the biggest clue since probably the most expensive item to add to a standard car.
Rear spoiler (body colour with thin black strip on rear).
Annivesary 2-tone leather seats with aircraft logo on each.  Next biggest clue!  The standard fit for a Scarabe Green car is two-tone Sand/Alpcaca, although grey or black were available by special order on a Scarabe car.
Textile floor mats (if they are still there)
Leather and wood steering wheel.
Saab audio system was standard fit on most annis.
The black anni badge (under the side indicator repeaters) was fitted to annis sold in 1997, but is sometimes removed or not present (since easy to remove).
The V5 may well list the car as and Anniversary?

Cruise control & car computer were options at the time and not standard, although might have been thrown in by a dealer at the end of the production run.  As previous posters have said, might not be an anni if it doesn't have the two-tone interior or the steering wheel - but these could have been changed over at some stage...  Does it have the aero body kit?

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: 15 April 2012, 08:33:04 PM by chris b »

Thorfinn

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2012, 09:39:51 PM »
Thanks all for your help - my conclusion is that I have a Scarabe Green 9000 from 1997, but not an Anniversary. I should have done this research before buying the car of course, but it was described as an Anniversary and I'm a trusting soul...too much so, as it turns out.

I spent today (Sunday) under the car trying to work through the MOT list. I replaced a CV boot on one side and  control-arm bushes on both,  freed off a seized caliper, attended to condensation in the headlights, and a couple of other things. More to do.

Actually wondering whether to keep it - it's a lovely car, but I'm starting to worry about how much more it will cost me to get it properly back on the road.

Will be sleeping on it.....