Author Topic: Took up smoking...  (Read 5019 times)

millster

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
Took up smoking...
« on: 07 May 2012, 03:15:23 AM »
Not me, the CSE (no offense to those who do smoke). 
After my unfortunate incident with my sump (cracked it putting my trans back in) I decided the best way to get it fixed was to remove the cat to get better access to either braze or epoxy it (new ones have proven very hard to find). The cat had 200,000 miles and with the car running rich lately I had a pretty good feeling it was knackered.  I was right. Anyway, I figured since I was doing that much work, I may as well replace the leaking sections of exhaust while I was at it.

Long story short, the lead-in to the center box was in really bad shape and broke cleanly off when I tried to fit the new tube to it.  As it stands right now, I pretty much have a straight pipe since the center and rear boxes are detached.  I will definitely be fixing the leak but there's a bigger problem.  When I dropped it back down and started it up, it was positively vomiting blue smoke out of both the hole and the pipe out of the back box (apparently there's still a partial connection).  It's not the first time it's smoked.  It's been doing it for a while but just on the first start of the morning and 99% of the time, only when it's parked on an angle or incline.  This time the front was obviously WAY up in the air to allow me to work on the exhaust.  I had started it a couple of times with the nose up to check for exhaust leaks so the engine would have built oil pressure.  This was by far the most smoke I've seen pouring out but true to form, when I took it out driving later, it was perfectly clear.

So that's where I'm lost.  In the past when I've lost oil seals on turbos they smoke badly and constantly so while I'm inclined to believe that's the issue here (the turbo was changed at 80,000 miles) it's just not totally consistent with the normal symptoms.  That would be why I'm here asking.  Anyone have thoughts?  Similar experiences?  Any help is very much appreciated!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Took up smoking...
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2012, 09:51:30 AM »
I don't know the 9000, so I'm guessing.

If the car is at an extreme angle, is ther a chance that oil is collecting at the back of the cam cover and being drawn into the breather system, rather than draining down to the sump?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

millster

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2012, 10:10:45 PM »
I reckon it's a pretty fair guess.
It doesn't take what I would call an "extreme" angle, it can be just a slight tilt but it never did it at all (or at least I didn't notice) until I replaced the breather grommet, nipple and one-way.  I went with the ScanTech one-way because it was quite a bit cheaper than the genuine Saab but I might have made a fatal mistake in doing so.  I'll put my MityVac on the valve and see what's what.  The turbo has no shaft play, doesn't sound weird and is still boosting perfectly.  I know that doesn't mean it definitely is not the oil seals, but I'd say it's less likely to be.

Thanks and I'll update with what I find.
Cheers!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2012, 12:01:31 AM »
Have you checked that the one way valves are the right way round, or even working?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

millster

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2012, 12:28:45 AM »
Just checked it with a MityVac and it won't let me pull vacuum opposite the arrow but it does bleed off a bit (from 20" it takes a good 30 seconds to reach 10").  Right way round would be stopping pressure from the throttle body to the breather nipple, right?  If so, that's the way she's facing. 

I left the car running while I was playing around with a few things under the hood and parked in my driveway, there was no smoke at all (apart from when I pulled the vac line off of the MAP sensor but that was just testing for another problem).  In any case, I'm a bit baffled on this one.  Unless there's some part of the breather system I'm not aware of, the hoses don't appear to be severely perished (a couple look a tad rough and will be replaced), the turbo seems strong and that whole intermittent and only at an angle thing...

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2012, 12:46:20 AM »
The one way valve is the right way round!  Can't think of anything else at the moment.

millster

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2012, 01:06:51 AM »
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming, though!  ;D
Aye and that's where I remain as well.  I'll get it sorted around to be sure.  I might just rebuild the turbo for the thrill of it anyway.  It's not going to hurt it to have new bearings and seals and that way if it is something headed toward pear-shaped, I catch it before it gets there.  Everybody needs another project, yeah?

racingsnake

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2012, 12:44:31 AM »
I was going to post a similar question, I recently bought another aero, it does the same, about one in ten starts (usually when parked on a slight slope) it chucks out blue smoke for a couple of seconds on starting, runs clean after that and the plugs are clean.

I will check the one way valve.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Cheers

Richard

millster

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2012, 02:57:14 PM »
Well, I'm going to have to say I reckon the seals on the T25 are on their way out.  I had to patch a couple of exhaust holes I missed the first time around this weekend and smoked out the neighborhood when I started it up.  That wasn't unexpected, of course but on my way in to my office this morning, I had a couple of occasions to lay into the loud pedal a bit and found the view behind me somewhat hazy.
Not good, I'd say.  I still have almost nil shaft play so it's not gone horribly pear shaped, I think the oil seals are just starting to give out.
I've seen the writeup that's running around on kitting the T25 and have read of a few people doing so on Nissans and other smaller engines with decent luck (so long as you mark the shaft, wheels and housings to maintain factory balance) but has anyone around here ever tried it?