The Forecourt > Cleaning and Detailing

Opaque front headlamps - how to fix?

(1/2) > >>

Steve McF:
Not the Aero thankfully, but my little Peugeot 107 seems top be developing the slightly opaque headlamps. It a bit like cataracts on your car!!!

I saw something in Asda which was for getting rid of this haze from plastic or glass headlamps, but that was long before I noticed one of my own cars needed it!!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for 'headlamp restorer'??

carrera:
You don't need a kit.

Stage 1: Wet' n dry, with a bit of fairy in the water about 400 grade to start with, rub down by hand or use a block if you prefer. Move up to about 1200 grade to finish when the haze has gone. Rinse frequently

Stage 2: Apply T-cut wet and polish it in quite hard, give it another rinse

Stage 3: Apply polish with a soft cloth. I use Autoglym. Just keep polishing it until the polish "dries" and you rub all the residue off.

It is perhaps easier if you remove the headlamps from the car, but not necessary. Similarly, a machine polisher may speed things up, but I can do a 9-5 headlamp in about 20 minutes or so if it isn't too bad

Be brave  :thumbsup:

sgould:
I did the 9-3 headlamps like this.  Really good result, but a bit scary after the first stage, when you think that you have made it worse... :o

David:
As has already been said, a fine wet n' dry, followed by a cutting compound (T-Cut, Brasso, Autosol chrome polish) best applied using a rotary polisher.
Finish with a sealer  - Turtlewax hydrophobic is very good.
Here's one I did a while back only using Autosol.

nathangardner:
I am using Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit. I got it from amazon. It was pretty cheap and easy to use but the downside is that its a little bit time consuming. All you need is a clean towel, a hose and everything is provided inside the box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version