Author Topic: Tyre pressures - what are people running?  (Read 5038 times)

welshwizard

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Tyre pressures - what are people running?
« on: 30 January 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
Tyres felt a bit splashy this morning so it was time for the first check....

First thing was trying to work out what kpa was...older cars had psi and bar, even older had psi only, Helga only gives kpa.  Realised thanks to Doogle it was bar x100....

pumped up to eco mode (I am on the turbine alloys with Goodyear F1 - Turbo4 model) - 2.8 front and 3.1 rear, car felt sharper....

Over the longer term what do people recommend??

Thanks

Peter

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Tyre pressures - what are people running?
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2017, 01:19:58 PM »
I don't have experience of the NG9-5.  But on my OG9-5 I run normally nearer the fully loaded/high speed recommendation on the sticker in the door shut.

Normal is 35 psi all-round.  High speed is 41 psi.  I run at 38 psi.

Actual pressure changes a lot more than I expected.  I have a Tyrepal system fitted.  Set at 38 psi on a normal day, the pressure reads around 33 on a frosty morning and  gets up to 45 psi on a motorway trip on a warmer day.  Quite a range.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2017, 05:39:23 PM »
I used to run 39 on my Aero estate but found I got excessive wear in the middle of the tread - Michelin Primacys - so have backed off down to 36 front and 35 rear (as per info sticker on the car).

Completely agree with what sgould says re variation if you monitor them. Being a biker and therefore a bit of a pressure/tread fetishist, and also having an alloy leak (I think) on one of the wheels which I need to keep an eye on, I check mine at least weekly and am always surprised by how much they pogo.

welshwizard

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2017, 02:12:08 PM »
I was on 35/36 for Dame Edna....but seems NGs run higher pressures as a matter of default.