Author Topic: Diagnostic Gear for NG  (Read 1263 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Diagnostic Gear for NG
« on: 13 January 2024, 02:10:52 PM »
I need to become somewhat self sufficient on diagnostics on the new 9-5

There's a whole new world of three letter algorithms, what I have figured out is the the GM software is called GDS or GDS2, and like almost everything these days it's a subscription service for garages

I already have a one make version of the iCarsoft reader and could buy another for the Vauxhall / Saab, or one with multi manufacturer capabilites

https://diagnostic-world.com/pages/best_saab_obd2_diagnostic_scan_tools__2021_guide_273376.cfm

I'm pretty certain that I have done ABS dagnostic / fixing with these, module programming might be beyond it's capabilities

Then there's this, which is new to me, but seems to have a good following. Plus I believe you can do a PayPerDay deal with AC Delco for module programming, should I ever need to

Apparently you can download a VirtualMachine already set up so get dealer functionality. I'm comfortable with having VM's as I have one for the Peugeot

https://www.obdiitool.co.uk/wholesale/vxdiag-vcx-nano-for-gm-opel.html

Then you go up the cost curve to stuff like Autel & the more expensive iCarsoft stuff

Number one priority is airbag diagnostic as I have an MOT due in 6 weeks

Thoughts, comments, recommendations, places to go all very much welcomed
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Diagnostic Gear for NG
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2024, 07:35:52 PM »
I ended up buying a VXdiag dongle, that connects by cable and Wi-Fi

It took a fair bit of time, probably 4 evenings, to get it working. To a large extent this was because the latest software 2023.10 needs Windows 10, and the instructions were for a Win 7 install

I first of all got a VM working & then did a physical install in a dual boot laptop. This was done in about an hour, most of which was OS install

I was able to access all of the systems I needed to & cleared codes, while also giving some history of the errors

Interestingly, having studied WIS I realised that the illuminated lights in the roof console for the airbags was to confirm that the passenger ones were armed. Twist the switch in th right hand end of the dash & the not armed infographic lights up. So this wasn't an error at all, just an absence of RTM time 

Along with the software you do get a virtual Tech II, but I don't think this works on Saabs, I'll have to investigate moew
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD