Author Topic: That old mini cab aura!!!!  (Read 9627 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
That old mini cab aura!!!!
« on: 19 October 2018, 11:45:36 PM »
So every time I get in the Aero there's a distinct musty sort of mini cab smell in it. Now granted it is a 12 year old car, I'm the 5th owner, and someone on amongst the previous 4 may have been a smoker - I just don't know.

But how can I get rid of this old car smell? Do I need to shampoo the carpets? Special cleaner for the leather seats? What about the headliner?

Any recommendations?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: That old mini cab aura!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2018, 08:13:41 AM »
I used to use this stuff in sales cars to clean the air conditioning which harbours smells and it was very effective, replace the pollen filter at the same time and make sure the drain isn't blocked too. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019VBV77S/

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2018, 05:14:26 PM »
I have used the sort of stuff you let spray in the car with aircon on recirculation until the can is empty. I don't notice the aircon smelling as such, it's just a general smell when you get in the car, before you'be even turned the key.

Interesting this stuff has stuff you spray down the ducting and pollen filter etc. Might give that a go ;)
« Last Edit: 21 October 2018, 08:57:17 PM by Steve McF »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
That stuff will get rid of general smells too, one thing is if your car has any damp in it then that can cause smells too. Sometimes removing cloth mats and leaving them hung on a washing line for a couple of days and then running the climate control on a hotter temp with recirculate for a few days and a window cracked will help too. Worst car I ever dealt with had a smell of McDonalds food in it, I found out why when I had to replace the ignition key in it, there was lots of fast food grease under the centre console.  :-X

You can also get odor absorber bags, not sure if they are any good or not but I've heard putting them under the front seats can help with nasty odors. Oh, and one other thing putting the seats down and cleaning underneath them can help, especially if the car smells of wet dog as dog hair tends to accumulate under the seats.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2018, 10:29:39 PM »
My friend bought a new Mini - the original BMC one - and after a while it developed a nasty smell.  The dealer couldn't find the source.  But eventually my friend found it.  A fitter on the production line had left a half eaten sandwich and half a bottle of milk behind the rear side trim panel... :o
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2018, 10:44:58 PM »
Ah yes, you can't beat that authentic British build quality :D

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2018, 09:22:26 AM »
My friend bought a new Mini - the original BMC one - and after a while it developed a nasty smell.  The dealer couldn't find the source.  But eventually my friend found it.  A fitter on the production line had left a half eaten sandwich and half a bottle of milk behind the rear side trim panel... :o

And some wonder why there is no longer a British car industry  :-\

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2018, 09:52:11 AM »

I've heard that anecdotally from so many sources that either that fitter really didn't like his lunch very much or it's an urban myth!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2018, 10:09:43 AM »
Well there was something wrong, I saw the patch of corrosion in John’s car! :)

Although at this distance in time there might be some confusion as to the cause. 

Another friend who used to service my cars when I was in Plymouth, had a fund if stories, including one where a car wouldn’t start, and he found the exhaust blocked by a dead rat!! :o
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2018, 10:10:59 AM »
Audax,

just ordered this on your recommendation ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019VBV77S/

need to check the pollen filter - it may have been changed when the service was done a few months back.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2018, 12:40:35 AM »
I've found the biggest culprit for nasty niffs in any car I've had is, more often than not, the mats and/or the seats - particularly if they are fabric seats.

Car mats will clean superbly and be 'fresh' if you wash them with a wet/dry vacuum cleaner such as a VAX.
You will be stunned at the amount of grit/sh*t/dirt that comes out of them. I have a narrow cleaning-head for the job rather than a full-width one for domestic carpets in the house.
This small cleaning-head is about 4" wide, and is brilliant for leaving stripes in your mats  (like a mown lawn!).

People sweat. So washing cloth seats is a must, and can be done using the same small cleaning-head and the VAX this will eliminate a lot of smells.

The other bit that gets neglected is the headlining. More care needs to be taken here as it can be more fragile, so I do this by hand with a sponge and hot(ish) soapy water

A big plus for cleaning the Air Con with those cans but I found that it needed to be done several times.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2018, 06:34:36 PM »
See, I always take recommendations from you boys very seriously :)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2018, 11:17:31 AM »

....But did it work?

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2018, 07:36:26 AM »
Not had a chance to use it yet!! Been away, and every weekend I seem to find that someone has completely filled up the calender with events and visits to/from friends etc....

And I also find myself with no holiday left till the end of the year now!!!!!!!!!!! :o

I am piling up the jobs to do on the Saab, and being thwarted by the wife ha ha!!! :D

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2018, 11:39:34 AM »
That's what wives do when they see you might be enjoying yourself!