Author Topic: Glovebox trim strip  (Read 5667 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Glovebox trim strip
« on: 27 December 2019, 11:56:55 PM »
I've always wondered why the trim strip above the glovebox on the 03 - 07 9-3 was that rubberised black, and not a sliver to match the strip in the doors and the gear lever surround on the centre console. After a couple of years of keeping an eye on Ebay, I've just found and ordered one of these....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312825972748

I was thinking of getting a standard one, and painting or wrapping it, but hopefully for not a lot more money, this will take care of it all with minimum fuss!!

Now got to see what can be done with the dash/binnacle surround. Apparently you can rub the matt finish off and get a shiny black glossy finish. That might be a bit too in your face. Another guy has sprayed his silver, but that looks too in your face too.

The glossy black finish on everything outer than the outside edge, which could be sprayed silver, might make it look more like a facelift dash.....

Then there's always carbon fibre wrap or dip.....
« Last Edit: 28 December 2019, 12:07:50 AM by Steve McF »

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Glovebox trim strip
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2019, 09:05:27 AM »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312825972748

I was thinking of getting a standard one, and painting or wrapping it, but hopefully for not a lot more money, this will take care of it all with minimum fuss!!

That might have been what Hirsch did here as the box appears to be GM. I bought some Hirsch interior handles a while back and they appeared to be the GM parts wrapped in leather. That's a good price btw, Hirsch stuff always costs an arm and a leg.

Not sure about the shiny binacle idea - it might reflect in the windscreen - I recall Hirsch had a dash kit - some examples here

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB819GB819&biw=2133&bih=1041&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNRjcqUMI4RD_BAanS-vdKpiGKXnZg%3A1577523810062&sa=1&ei=YhoHXvyrA4CFhbIPxsCGmAk&q=hirsch+saab+9-3+dash&oq=hirsch+saab+9-3+dash&gs_l=img.3...19706.20729..21205...0.0..0.109.451.5j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39.pJY5nDnOzqw&ved=0ahUKEwj85MqS_tfmAhWAQkEAHUagAZMQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2019, 01:33:39 PM »
Don't try and glam up the dashboard edge!  The later 2007 cars came with a silver edge and people were getting them painted matte black because there was a bright silver line reflected in the windscreen which was very distracting.   Our Carlsson came with the standard leather dash and no silver.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2019, 05:28:05 PM »
I can't believe how expensive those leather dash upgrades are. £300....second hand??

A carbon fibre finish would be good but I think the leather look is better. Would need leather door handle upgrades to match. With the cost of all that I could buy another 9-3 :D

ReAxs7

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Skoda Octavia Mk 4 SE L First Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2019, 10:30:22 AM »

Above is a photo of the dash in my 9-3. The trim is described as Titanuim Finish. It has a satin finish and does not give the reflection sgould spoke of.

The car was first registered end July 2011, is MY 2012 and a 9-3 SE 1.9TTiD [180].

The trim finish is common to the dash, glovebox, door handles and gear knob gaiter surround.

I don't know if those parts are available nor price, but it might be an option to consider.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2019, 12:10:29 PM »
This is the 2007 on dash that causes reflections...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2019, 10:46:58 PM »
Those are facelift dashes, but mine is the last of the pre facelifts.

Had an ebay notification that the guy selling the 299 quid Hirsch leather dash was now accepting offers. Do you think an offer of 100 quid might result in a definite "get lost" :D ?

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2019, 05:17:19 PM »
Well the trim strip arrived today, and looks to be ~£23 well spent.....especially when I had another look on Ebay and found this one for around £60 more...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hirsch-Tuning-SAAB-9-3-Convertible-RHD-03-06-Dash-Insert-New-Genuine-Part/174067931054?hash=item288741d7ae:g:6TQAAOSwTbRdqCa6

This one mentions "convertible", but surely the dash was the same whether it was vert/saloon/estate?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2019, 05:25:16 PM »
The convertible strip should have a lock in the release button.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2019, 05:31:51 PM »
There were two - one had a lock on the button, but the other looked like the GM part I've just got. They were both ~£80 :o

...for a bit of plastic with some clips on it?? :o

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2020, 09:50:19 AM »
The one you have looks right to me for your car.

There is a third variant which was silver, with the button, but no lock - it was for for the face lift and was contoured differently - I bought this by accident and it didn't fit.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2020, 02:35:19 PM »
Ok so I looked in the Haynes manual to try to work out how to fit this, but all it tells you is how to get the glovebox out. I guess no one would normally remove this bit of trim.

Anyone done it before, and got any pointers?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2020, 03:30:14 PM »
The button/lock is screwed in place.  I've had one out.  WIS says that the rest of the trim just pushes out from behind.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2020, 10:50:48 AM »
So it is take the glove box itself out, and then it ought to be apparent where the lock end is screwed in, unscrew the fixings and push the strip out from behind?

Had a look at the receipt/invoice for the strip I bought for £23, and it says it is Hirsch....but I'm not sure it is? Not that I'm complaining, because the Hirsch ones on Ebay seem to be going for £80+ and look the same!!!!!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 January 2020, 04:47:22 PM »
Once the glovebox is out, you can feel up behind and see how the strip is fixed. 

You need to be a bit careful when removing /replacing the glovebox because there is a pin that engages between the button and the latch on the lid.  It will come out OK, but needs to be in the right position to engage when going back in. 

The other problem I had was squeezing the metal lamp box attached to the side of the glovebox through the opening.  It's tight. I used a large flat knife.  Best to reach up behind and disconnect the connector from the lamp. At the same time disconnect the rubber hose for the glovebox cooling. Doesn't really matter whether you pull the hose off the glovebox or the other end attached to the aircon unit.  And don't forget the fifth glovebox screw down at the end that screws into the heater bracket.