The Forecourt > Off-topic chat, Help, Advice, General motoring issues

What I Did To My Saab Today.

(1/176) > >>

Hawkwind:
I'm starting this thread so members can  list anything and everything they've done to their cars recently. From mechanical stuff, to modding, routine maintenance, or a full restoration  :D

My contribution isn't so ambitious :-[  I gave the car a good clean and scrubbed the hood in preparation for re-dying. Waiting for some dry weather now so I can get the colour on and weatherproof the canvas.

I gave the leather seats a bit of a spruce up too, touching up a couple of very minor wear patches, which have now disappeared  ;)

While I was at it, I had a look at the boot release switch and mechanism as this isn't working, couldn't find anything obvious, so it'll have to wait until I have more time.

When I get the hood done I'll post up some before/after pictures.

Kev_Mc:
Excellent idea :D

Have made the thread a sticky.

Mine is in the garage now - in for Cambelt (inc water pump, pulleys, tensioners etc), replace fog light destroyed by a stone, replace the motor for the locking thingy on the fuel filler cap and an MOT.

Went to Bond Street Saab (Leicester) to do the work. They've now moved to brand new premises in Birstall to the north of the city. Easier for me to get to being just off the A46. Courtesy car is a 2006 9-5 1.9TiD Auto. Engine pulls very well despite its 144,000 miles, car isn't quite as tight as mine, but nice to see the 1.9TiD's can take the miles as well as the proper Saab engines (is it an Alfa engine??)

sgould:
If the drizzle stop here, I'm going to be taking out the satnav for a thorough investigation of all the connectors, to see what the best way of connecting the new one.  I think it will be cut wires and solder as no one produces an adaptor cable for the 9-5 to a Kenwood/ISO.

collywobble:
The 1.9 TiD engine was a joint project between GM & Fiat I believe so it appeared in various Vauxhall's and Opel's, Fiat's and Alfa's.  I have driven one in an Astra van and it is a nice free revving quiet smooth engine but will it be as long lasting as the old 2.2 TiD motor in my 9-5, which has no cam belt to break suddenly, and for which I have read that taxi drivers get 300,000+ plus miles out of them.

I will be happy to get 200,000 out of mine  - 138,000 on the clock and counting!

Geoff1951:
Finally bought a bottle of Meguiars Plast RX off the net, to tidy up one headlamp *. Took a couple of hours, but superb results. Don't buy the kit in Halfords, you'll pay £20. Half that is for a sponge and a cloth.
Also after a good wash, etc, with assorted Autoglym stuff, the car looks lovely.

* One headlamp was brand new a couple of years back after a 4x4 reversed into me.  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version