Author Topic: Brakes seized  (Read 3990 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Brakes seized
« on: 17 February 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
Car has been sat for 3 weeks without moving. Just went to give it a run though one wheel is refusing to turn. (Left rear).

The disks and pads have only done around 8000 miles.

Is it likely that my disks and pads are scrap, or if they are freed off should I get away with it? Hoping it's the latter as the car has only sat for 3 weeks in the garage - immediately prior to that it did a 1000 mile round trip to Scotland.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Brakes seized
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
I've known discs and pads to be good where a car has spent most of the year not moving from one MOT to the next (think 300 miles between MOT).

The reason the rear wheel is refusing to turn is most likely that the hand brake is stuck on which is shoes inside the disc.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2017, 02:54:20 PM »
Snap!! :)

More likely that the handbrake drum is stuck.

See if the handbrake cable behind the drum moves with the lever.  Could be the cable is rusty and stuck on. Could be the mechanism in the drum.  Could just be the shoes stuck to the drum. Might free if you drive it, if it's just stuck shoes.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
I've tried moving the car, though the one wheel is dragging and not budging at all. Has left skid marks where I managed to move 10 foot or so! It'll be a pain if it is the handbrake cable, as I never leave the handbrake on (though think I did this one time).

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2017, 09:54:18 PM »
Mechanic managed to free the wheel with carefully aimed blows with a hammer. I was thinking of trying this but I wouldn't have had a clue where to hit. They were rusted on from both sides.

I went for a run to get all the crap off the disks. Good to drive it again - not been out in it for about a month. Going to make sure I take it out at least once a week from now.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2017, 08:55:57 AM »
My car lives outside exclusively, and I'm often away working overseas for a month or more at a time.
In preparation for these events one thing I always do is chock the car with some small but very heavy rubber chocks similar to these... leaving the handbrake off and the vehicle in a low gear.

So far I have had no problems with brake seizures (unlike our Vauxhall Meriva on which the handbrake cable is constantly seizing up >:( )