Author Topic: Graphite Green 9-5 Aero rescue  (Read 51280 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Graphite Green 9-5 Aero rescue
« Reply #30 on: 30 July 2019, 07:59:53 PM »
I didn't bother checking the disc thickness. I will, tomorrow, but as this is a rescue job I'm not wanting to sink money into it on discretionary maintenance items until it has an MOT.

I have cleaned up the edge of discs before, with some success. Nobody will ever recommend it, but I see it as a low tech version of the disc skimming process that is commercially available. In this case it's just a case of making the discs more presentable for an MOT and also removing the rusty lip that wears the inner and outer edges of brake pads, marginally increasing the pad surface area back to standard again. That's the theory anyway.

I have just looked up the WIS instructions for the caliper bolts. 140NM + 45 degrees plus Loctite 242. I reckon that my right arm inbuilt torque wrench was about that setting  :)  I've never had a caliper bolt come loose so I will be ignoring Saab instructions on this occasion.

Similarly, the caliper slide pins and disc retaining bolts are supposed to be loctited in. As the disc retaining bolts do very little at all, except perhaps make an easy job difficult when the head gets rounded off, I'm not worried about that either.  :)

I have heard good things about Hydrate 80 - I'll have to get some, maybe for use on the leading edge of the rear arches  ;)
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #31 on: 30 July 2019, 08:22:08 PM »
I use the blue Loctite that comes in a cylinder and works like a lipstick.  When i came to undo the bolts they were a lot less difficult than when I undid the originals.

Although, on reflection, the ones I took off the first time weren't actually original, they were the 345mm Hirsch upgrade that the local dealer fitted.

WhenI did them up, I got to 140Nm with the torque wrench, but with all my weight on a 36 inch breaker bar, I could only get another 5ยบ at most.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 July 2019, 11:25:42 AM »
First job on the car today, disc wear.

Fronts 23.4mm
Rear 19.4mm

So the fronts are half worn, the rears are nearly new.

I must be super sensitive to rusty ridges

One job I forgot yesterday was the replacement of the front track rod / tie bar. The locknut was impossible to shift, even with heat, in the end I cut enough of the nut away with a disc to be able to release it with mole grips. Upon further inspection I concluded that it was only the end that was bent, so replaced that and guessed at the tracking. It will be interesting how close my by eye estimate was once it's back on the ground and the tracking gauges are on.
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31 July 2019, 05:40:50 PM »
An end of day update:

Rear brakes have been reassembled, handbrake adjusted up and it's fair to say I now have a good handbrake, with far fewer turns on the nut at the handbrake lever.  As you would expect, a pair of return springs will be needed.  ;)

The rear subframe bushes have been replaced with a pair of Powerflex poly bushes which I just happened to have on the shelf.

This was the approach I took:

Remove rear bolts
Slacken middle and front subframe bolts
Remove steering rack bolts
Remove top bolt from the rear gearbox mount.

This just gave enough space to get a pry bar in and some wooden wedges to hold the void open. This was taken just before removal of the first bush, a little larger gap was required, only a couple of mm or so.

The existing bushes were totally shot, so the centre section was forced out at the top, while a reciprocating saw (or alternatively a hacksaw blade) was used to make two cuts in the steel remains of the outer part of the old bush. This allowed the old bush to be levered out and withdrawn from the bottom.

Time to put the new ones in. let's just say that there is a technique to this. The first one took a good couple of hours, the second one about 5 minutes.

The key is to be very liberal with the washing up liquid. I used three fingertips full to coat the top and inner part of the void. Then put the bush in place, slightly off centre. Then raise the subframe up with a jack. The bush will start to slide down at an unusual angle, and then all of a sudden it will almost seem to suck itself into position over the last half of the movement.

I have noticed the the centre aluminium heat insulation is loose so some large washers will be deployed to secure that back in place
« Last Edit: 31 July 2019, 07:29:14 PM by carrera »

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 August 2019, 02:33:10 PM »
The car is back on the ground and I'm pleased to confirm that the knock that happened when starting the car has now disappeared  :)

I checked the tracking, I wasn't too far out, my by eye setting was 40' out, it has now been reset to 15' in, which is close enough

The brakes are working fine and even just moving the car back and forwards I can feel them bedding back in

Time to do some less mechanical stuff.  The SatNav thinks I am somewhere near Orkney and there's not much in the way of roads, how long does it take to acquire satellites as none are being detected at the moment. The GPS aerial is there, though without any rubber protection and from the SatNav history it has certainly been used by the previous owner.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01 August 2019, 03:42:09 PM »
On the old Tomtom it could take 45 mins to acquire satellites and download the ephemera stuff.  But usually less if the car is in an area with a clear view of plenty of sky.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 August 2019, 06:22:39 PM »
Hmm, I left the car parked outside for 45 minutes with ignition live enough to keep the satnav on (and to nearly flatten the battery)

I'm still sailing around near Orkney  ::)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 August 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
Yesterday I did a second wash and a first t-cut on the paintwork, I quite like graphite green when I can see it. The bodywork has quite a few scratches, but I'm happy that most of them will polish out with a bit of a mop.

The bend rear door has been removed, so it was time to turn my attention to cleaning the interior. I think the previous owner worked in Scottish Forests, and I suspect he used to take his work home with him. The good news is that the interior seems to be claning up quite well too, it's goping to need a carpet shampoo and a leather clean, but there doesn't seem to be anything too bad that will persist. It's all servicable anyway.

When I got to the back end I did the boot floor, the undermat and the wheel well itself, before turning to cleaning out the side pods. That's when I found the DVD player for the satnav. The door is broken, so I'm thinking if the door isn't closed the satnav won't work correctly.

It's held in place by two screws onto brackets on the right hand side, the same on the ledt, but to get to those you have to remove the side carpet, which means the D-post trim and the right hand shelf guides.

This is what it looks like when you finally get access to remove it, which is my next task

« Last Edit: 02 August 2019, 05:21:01 PM by carrera »

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 August 2019, 06:09:39 PM »
 :(

Well on this occasion the old remove, dismantle, reassemble routine did not work its magic. It looks like a small plastic hinge pin has been broken, with care the door closes fine otherwise

The DVD is being read as I can see the version information, but when I go into setup it still shows the same coordinates and 0 satellites.

I'm going to have to find out how to check the GPS signal, the cable is in the back of the DVD

This is a whole new world for me

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 August 2019, 06:21:18 PM »
The early 9-5 satnav is pure Kenwood.  I don't think that it uses the Saab security marrying, but I've never looked in detail.  but what it means is that the unit can be upgraded.  I've heard of several people who have done it.  Some part with a model name like 3200 to replace the existing 2200 comes to mind.  The updated part may be solid state, but again I'm not sure.

There are some posts on this from a member on www.uksaabs.co.uk called "sandwer" who seems to understand the internal bits.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 August 2019, 11:18:38 PM »
Thanks, I have done some reading around and it appears that the older Kenwood may be better than the later Denso systems...... and sandwer even has 2017 maps installed

I'm not actually that bothered about the features, I just want to get it working and have resisted the temptation to do the factory reset as I shouldn't really need to do a ctrl-alt-del should I ?

Maybe the next option is to remove the shark fin and make sure the wires are actually connected, as I'm still struggling to find a diagnostic test outside of the head unit display.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 August 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
Does anbody want to know how to remove the entirity of the rear trim on an estate - because I have now

Progress, but no resolution.

The head unit has been removed, and the trim removed so I could trace the route for the GPS cable from the antennae as I could not get a continuity check on the cable from the roof aerial. In reality, I did not need to do that but in the process found out why the parking sensors were not working. Another connector unplugged for no aparrent reason. ::)

Today I moved the car outside again and reset the unit because that's what the advice said. Being in daylight I could also see the connector better and realised I needed a wire insert on the antenna end as well as the head unit end, replacing the connecting pin, to do a continuity test. The cable checks out fine now, on both the signal and earth sides.

I have also managed to find a service manual for the DV2200, and from that have been able to access service mode which gives more information about the satellites it is connecting to, movement signal from somewhere, I assume the vehicle speed sensor, but maybe not, and a relative bearing which I believe comes from an inbuilt gyroscope. Pages from the SM are attached

So everything is working apart from I have no locked satellites. The service manual talks about leaving the unit on for 20 minutes if the"almanac" is lost, by which I assumes it means an inbuilt database of where the satellites should be based on the date and time, but as the satnav screen is showing todays date and time correctly, I don't believe that is the problem

Some more reading to do, any confirmation of how the GPS works would be appreciated - I haven't joined up with uksaabs at this point

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 August 2019, 01:41:05 PM »
Which bit of trim?  I've had the lot out on my 2007 car.

The side panels unscrew along the top and reveal lots of wiring loom.  The plastic panels around the tailgate are just levered off.  The two plastic trays in the floor at the rear also lever out.

The aluminium track in the floor are bolted down.  There are two spring clips that sit in slots in the track.  Lifting these releases the wooden floor which slides out.

The back seat bases just unclip once the red clips are pulled off.  The backrest on the drivers side has a metal plate that can be rotated a tiny bit by lever/screwdriver to release the outside edge then it lifts out.  The other half needs the long hinge bolt in the middle unbolting and the seat belt unbolting at the floor.  Wedge the belt in the seat top.  If it fully retracts into the seat, you may find it's too far in to allow it to release again.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 August 2019, 08:12:48 PM »
Thanks for that, though I may have not expressed myself so well in the first para - I had already dismantled the rear of the car when I wrote that :)

After testing the cable out I decided to remove the roof aerial, which with hindsight is something I should have done before now. The electronics were exposed and so I'm now pretty sure I need an antennae.

At least the car has had a proper clean and I treated a little bit of rust that was on one side of the boot opening behind the rubber seal

I'm confident enough that I reassembled everything except the parts that provide access to the antennae

Next task is to get the replacement door from JTC stripped and ready for painting along with the wing and front bumper. Still hunting for a front splitter at a decent price though

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07 August 2019, 08:19:24 PM »
The roof bits start with pulling the trim around the tailgate.  The two plastic plugs in the roof come out with a quarter turn.  The dog guard clips unscrew. Also the grab handles.  The end covers over the screws slide off.

I should have more photos of that if you need them.  I have this FM/AM/DAB/GSM/GPS aerial from Blaupunkt.