Author Topic: Oh look what's about to be sent off ;)  (Read 1833 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Oh look what's about to be sent off ;)
« on: 17 July 2018, 10:13:12 PM »
I finally got round to deciding what to do with these 314mm front brake calpers!!! Been in touch with Bigg Red in Worcester, who came recommended, and they will refurb and electroplate them, with all new seals, pistons et al for around £125 including return postage. So I bit the bullet and wrapped them up ready to go ;) Here they are patiently waiting in the boot for me to got to the post office tomorrow ;)

And when they come back I'll be all set for the front brake upgrade (and rear brake replacement) courtesy of all the other brake bits I've got from Saabits :)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: Oh look what's about to be sent off ;)
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2018, 10:17:08 PM »
Useful info - not heard of Bigg red before but thier site looks very interesting for future reference! 

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Re: Oh look what's about to be sent off ;)
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2018, 10:36:41 PM »
Yeah, I think it may have been Will that pointed me in their direction.

There was another place I found online somewhere else in the country, but they seemed to be way more expensive, and for what they were charging, I could just buy brand new calipers!!!!

These calipers came off an 03 Aero I believe, and were quite crusty. I wouldn't want to have put them on my car with the existing seals and pistons etc. I made a start cleaning them off with carb/brake cleaner, but they needed a lot more.

These guys pull them to pieces, thoroughly strip them down and sand blast (I think) them clean, electroplate them, then replace all the serviceable bits, pressure test them, and send them back to you.

I need the pad springs, as these ones were very rusty, but they can supply them for £8 each, so I'm going for that too.

It takes about two weeks to get them back, but I can't wait already!!! Expect more pics, ha ha!!!!
« Last Edit: 18 July 2018, 07:49:38 AM by Steve McF »