Author Topic: PO106  (Read 6227 times)

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
PO106
« on: 01 June 2015, 10:21:52 AM »
Now it throws a CEL, 106. Drop in manifold pressure. This goes a long way to explaining the weird behavior recently.
Suggestions most welcome gents.
Hit me,,.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
Re: PO106
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2015, 06:02:42 PM »
There you go, pick the bones out of that!

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-Error-Code/P0106/Diagnostics/saab/Default.aspx

Suggest a dirty MAP sensor, or a leak in the hose between the MAF and inlet manifold.

HTH

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2015, 06:24:38 PM »
There's a long bit in the workshop manual about testing with the Saab Tech 2 diagnostic computer.  But the essential bit seems to be this.  Pressure Sensor (MAP sensor) or a split or disconnected pipe.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2015, 06:26:33 PM »
These are the pipes most likely to have come off or split.  The three way valve is on the bulkhead behind the engine on the passenger side.   If they are faulty, replace with 3mm silicone tube.  I got mine from saabits.com

« Last Edit: 01 June 2015, 06:28:06 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2015, 11:50:56 AM »
Thanks! Much appreciated.
You can almost 'feel' the computer struggling to get the right air-fuel mix. Air-leak is certainly on the agenda.
Finding it is the tricky part.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2015, 02:34:06 PM »
Split intercooler?

Try disconnecting the lead from the MAF sensor by the front wing.  That way the ECU will use default values and not actual air flow, so it won't noice a leak too much.  If the car improves when it's disconnected, you definitely have an air leak, or a faulty MAF sensor.

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
Nice! Will do. Didn't know about the default values...!
Also to note, the fuel level was very low in the tank. And only 91 RON at that, she tell me.
I think it was sucking air when it cut out a few times yesterday. That triggered the CEL, I think.
Popped in half a tank of 95RON high grade decent fuel, and it feels much more confident and energetic. No drop outs and no CELs, yet.
Nothing looks to be split or missing, which is the perplexing part at this stage...

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2015, 10:39:50 AM »
So, the upshot is the manifold pressure sensor threw codes twice in a week. Let Her down badly, and has been grumpy for months now. The car too.
Changed the sensor, now it is a different thing altogether. Smoother, starts correctly and isn't psycho anymore.
But She wont get back in it anymore, so that's that then.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2015, 09:05:20 AM by nine-fiver »

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2015, 01:46:07 PM »
It's been 7 years for this car with my family. We have done lots together. Collecting the girls from school every day, trips to the beach, up country, Ikea, Bunnings, towing boats, sofa-beds, 3m of timber IN the cabin...everything. I miss it already. But I don't miss getting underneath it every weekend.
Multiple petrol pumps and alternators, new batteries, starter motors, leaking radiators, head gasket, cracked sump, split drive shafts, the list goes on. The subframe bushes were shot, rear bearing was gone, the brakes, weren't all that flash lately and the ABS was getting weird at times. But engine pulled hard and the turbo didn't blow smoke, much.
220,000km over 14 years doesn't sound like the end of the road, but it got to the point where I couldn't get under it in anymore.
The best thing about the wagon? The interior. Still looked like new after a decent scrub. The practicality was awesome. The functionality was beyond its years, for many years.
A pity GM got in the way and spoilt the engineering longevity....
But that was always going to happen wasn't it?
There aren't any left on our roads down here anymore, and mine might have been one of the last 9-5 wagons running about. At least I could properly say I didn't give up on it before others did. Being a DIY guy for all these years might have prolonged its life a bit, who knows.
I had always thought 400K would have seen the car out, and would have got another 5 years from it.
As was quoted in "The Castle"...Tell 'em he's dreamin'!
Anyway, it's been quite a journey, and the car has certainly been a part of the family for all these years.
My Aero sedan was a truly excellent thing, until it got hit hard from both ends and sent to the wrecker a few years back. One in the carpark just yesterday turned my head and had me looking...I believe it will become quite the collector's car down the track, actually...
'Nine-Fiver' (Aus715) signing off from this section of the Forum for now.

Time to get the 9-3 up to scratch now....