Author Topic: Boot mount CD changer  (Read 16088 times)

djbutler

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Boot mount CD changer
« on: 06 October 2012, 10:46:28 AM »
Hi All
If I get a CD changer and mount it in the boot will the standard 93 2004 radio/cd headunit work with it?. I remember my W reg 95 had a boot mounted changer and wondered if I could fit one to the 93 along with a bluetooth (nokia ckw7)so I can say "Yes Dear" to the wife during my brief escapes. I'm guessing the bluetooth will be hardest to sort out.....
Dave

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Boot mount CD changer
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2012, 04:03:46 PM »
Not sure about the CD changer.  I'm not really anywhere I can find out at the moment.  Normally the 2004 9-3 has either the single CD player under the aircon panel in the dash, or the optional 6 CD changer in the same place.

A bluetooth car kit can be fitted.  If you want a phone only one, it's pretty much plug in and it works.  There is a connector behind the trim next to the passenger's shin.  The panel is fixed by one screw hidden by the seat.  Slide the seat out of the way to get at it.  The panel then slides backwards out of the clip at the front.  The 18 pin connector is immediately under the front of the CD player.  Mine was just poking down enough to see.

You need a cable between that connector and the car kit of your choice.  I got mine from http://www.justcarkits.co.uk

If you have a Nokia CKW7, you should need one of this pair.  But check which before buying.  I fitted a Parrot system, so I can't help.  You could make up your own lead, but it will need the connectors and some soldering skills.

Attached pictures of panel screw and connector.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2012, 04:11:59 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
A rear CD changer is possible, but may be difficult.  It communicates with the radio head unit by optic fibre cables.  Whether the optic cable ring reaches the back of the car possibly depends on which audio system you have installed.

If you have the 4 speaker basic system, it's unlikely that you have any optic fibre cables other than the ones behind the dash connecting the control module (the bit you see) and the audio unit (hidden behind the aircon panel with the CD player hanging from it.

If you have the 7 speaker system, you should have optic cables to an amp under the passenger seat as well as a pair to the boot for an optional second amplifier for a pair of 6 x 9 bass speakers in the back.

So, if you have the cables, all you need is the correct Saab CD changer with the optic connectors which can be programmed to the system.  A standard wired changer will not work.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2012, 06:15:37 PM »
I'd get a 6 disc changer put in the front, they were a shade under £200 last time I looked but you will need it programmed using Tech-2.

djbutler

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
Thanks Guy's, I have a much better idea of how much work this is going to be now. I have the four speaker system with  the single CD player so I will consider my options on that, the bluetooth is more important at the moment but even that is not a must now I've retired seems hardly needed just for social calls. I guess you just get used to having these things in a company vehicle and I haven't got used to life without my toys yet!. I shall have to find some way to circumvent this Tech -2 thing though, cant be running to dealers all the time that would be like using Microsoft Windows or speaking French.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2012, 07:50:17 AM »
I really think trying to avoid Tech2 would possibly be the very worst thing you can try to do. I've seen people attempt it in the past and it end up costing them lots of money. All car manufacturers have diagnostic tools that allow you to add and remove options to the car. If you want to avoid these kind of diagnostic tools then you'd be looking to buy something that was made before about the mid-90's  ;D

djbutler

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
Strange but I don't ever recall visiting a dealer for any problem with my 900, 9000 or 9-5, mind you they didn't give me any problems apart from one DI unit and crankshaft sensor, not a bad record across 4 vehicles. My Idea was a bit more like the computing side of things, I kicked Microsoft into touch years ago and I can still do anything with my computer that you can do with yours, so an alternative to Tech 2 not removal of the system is the thing I was suggesting.
         I was thinking of starting with a Rasberry PI running Android and using Torque to start with, then getting some programming help. Maybe somebody else has Ideas?.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
An RPI running android still won't be sitting on the right bus to interface with the audio system, you'd need to get something that would plug into the optical bus system and interface with the i-bus. Torque on Android isn't going to do it, I could put you in touch with some embedded developers who could do this for you but it will cost you way more than just buying a CD player and installing it. There's a time to be pragmatic over this and a time to try and be clever. There's many things on the GM900, 9000 and 9-5 you can only do with a Tech-2 tool and although there are probably ways around it i'd say it's not worth bothering with.

Anyhow, not sure why you mention Microsoft and how your computer can do anything that mine can, I've been using Linux pretty much exclusively for well over 15 years now and use it daily in my current day job. Saying that, I do have a Windows VM which is exclusively used for testing and running the Saab workshop software.

It is worth pointing out for the audio system on the 9-3 you could get an auxiliary input which fits into the centre storage cubby, it's about £20 but enabling it requires Tech-2 so I don't know if it's an option for you and there is also an aftermarket unit that will give you an input into the audio system but it's about £500!
« Last Edit: 10 October 2012, 10:13:29 PM by Audax »

djbutler

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2012, 12:45:55 AM »
Thanks for the info, that's the thing about Ideas, you don't know if they are any good until you either ask or prove them.The computer thing was as an example not to say my computer was  better than any other but purely that there are many ways to reach the same place.

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2012, 05:06:07 AM »
For the 9-3SS the Aux socket Audax mentioned is your most sensible route. Figure out any changes you want to the programming and ask them for a price doing it when you have it serviced.

For comparison (it wouldn't work on your car), on the 9-5 I bought a saab-aux module which imitates a boot changer but doesn't need the security check so it doesn't need programming. However, it's not as neat a solution as the dedicated Aux in on the 9-3SS and at over £100 is probably more expensive than you having the proper Aux in fitted and programmed.

If you wanted to go down the custom route, I did consider sticking a PC in the boot loaded with music and a bluetooth interface for handsfree, and using a USB to CAN adaptor (www.kanda.com) but this alone would have cost £100 so it is one for a hobby. I'd still like to do this but sadly I don't have the time to develop it.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2012, 07:39:37 AM »
If you wanted to go down the custom route, I did consider sticking a PC in the boot loaded with music and a bluetooth interface for handsfree, and using a USB to CAN adaptor (www.kanda.com) but this alone would have cost £100 so it is one for a hobby. I'd still like to do this but sadly I don't have the time to develop it.

Even with that setup you'd get onto the CAN bus but there isn't enough bandwidth on it to support streaming of audio as you'd have to route the audio to a different bus on the 9-3, on a 9-5 the audio isn't routed over the CAN at any point.

I've considered one of those aux in modules for my 9-5... temping but very pricey, how well does it work? I've mostly settled to listening to radio 4 instead of music in the car :)

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
Even with that setup you'd get onto the CAN bus but there isn't enough bandwidth on it to support streaming of audio as you'd have to route the audio to a different bus on the 9-3, on a 9-5 the audio isn't routed over the CAN at any point.

I've considered one of those aux in modules for my 9-5... temping but very pricey, how well does it work? I've mostly settled to listening to radio 4 instead of music in the car :)

Well spotted Audax, I forgot to mention the use I had for CAN would be to interface with SID and steering wheel controls, plus to fake the boot CD changer communication (not audio). I was thinking of the standard audio connects for the boot changer as a way of inputting to the sound system, but you've reminded me of another problem he would face: the 9-3SS may use fibre optic connections for the audio. Potentially yet another protocol to decode.

As for the saabaux, it works pretty well. It appears as disk 1 on the boot CD changer, moving the disk numbers along if you actually have a boot CD changer. The one niggle I have is if I am listening to it when a telephone call is made, on completion of the call the audio is still muted. This is easily solved by flicking to radio then back again. I've asked the manufacturer about this but they didn't have any suggestions. That aside, it is a great solution to injecting audio into the standard system. If you are ever over this way, get in touch beforehand and I'll show you it in action. I took some pictures of the fitting: http://s1091.beta.photobucket.com/user/scarbsaab/library/Aux-In%20for%20Saab%209-5

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
you've reminded me of another problem he would face: the 9-3SS may use fibre optic connections for the audio. Potentially yet another protocol to decode.

It would (well, if the car is pre-07) but there are boxes that plugin to decode this, again they are not cheap. Strangely everyone else is now going to this system, Saab abandoned it early on.