Author Topic: Re-maps  (Read 2879 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Re-maps
« on: 04 April 2019, 04:58:03 PM »
No longer a Saab owner but still see her on occassion.

I now have a Nissan X Trail and have just had it re-mapped from 173 to 221 by Celtic Tuning's agent in Suffolk called Sax Vehicle Services.

The chap who did it was incredibly knowledgeable and it took roughly 45 mins in total uploading my ecu details to Celtic then downloading and installing the re-map. Normally £295 inc but we had 2 cars there so he did it for £250 each. They also kindly changed the oils in gearbox, transfer box and differential box using the Redline Oils I supplied.

The difference is night and day with acceleration being much smoother and quite linear like my TTiD was. Pick up is quick and having been out today MPG is better.

I've had Hirsch upgrades before but found Celtic were excellent if anyone was conditioning it. They warranty car for 12 months and software for 3 years.

NJ

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Re: Re-maps
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2019, 07:31:42 AM »
What does the warranty cover, out of interest? Does it cover any failures as a result of having the car remapped?

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2019, 08:24:07 AM »
The 12 month warranty - yes. Anything that could be attributed to the re-map that caused premature failure of a component.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2019, 12:41:53 PM »
What could fail as a result? I'm interested in a stage 1 only (no hardware changes) for my 2.0T.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2019, 05:30:48 PM »
A remap may pick up any weak or worn out components that already exist.  So maybe not the best idea on a worn engine.  But the 2.0 engine seems to be a very strong unit and there aren't many problems.

A good remap will not cause any new problem.  Bad remaps can cause damage, usually to causing the engine to run lean, which can cause detonation and destroy pistons and burn out valves. 

If you take your car to Karl at Noobtune, you will be safe on that count.  He will check the car with a Tech2 before doing any work.  If he finds any problems, he won't upgrade.  After installing the remap you will get a test drive while he monitors all the parameters.   He's done a few thousand upgrades without any known problems.  He has maps for other engines now, but he isn't releasing them yet because he needs to do some testing to make sure that he can recover any possible ECU problem or crash while doing the work or afterwards.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2019, 10:25:43 AM »

If you take your car to Karl at Noobtune, you will be safe on that count.  He will check the car with a Tech2 before doing any work.  If he finds any problems, he won't upgrade.  After installing the remap you will get a test drive while he monitors all the parameters.   He's done a few thousand upgrades without any known problems.  He has maps for other engines now, but he isn't releasing them yet because he needs to do some testing to make sure that he can recover any possible ECU problem or crash while doing the work or afterwards.
The Celtic guy did the same with mine Will. Plugged it in and did thorough check even drove it up the road plugged in to read outputs - mine had an old error code which he checked out; part had been replaced but code never erased. Once completed he again took it up road plugged in to make sure. I mentioned I had Saabs before and was astonished to hear how much he knew about them and that he'd done quite a few including a 900 Turbo! He was really into his old cars as well and his daily drive is a Rover SDI 2600. He'd got MG Magnet, Triumph Spitfire 1500, MG Midget 1275 including an old International tractor! His favourite engine to work on was the one in my son's car the 3.0 BMW diesel.