Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Classic Saab 9-5 (MY 1998-2010) / Re: ACC fan stays on when ignition off
« Last post by carrera on 14 November 2018, 08:25:48 PM »
Bit of an update:

Good news, I found I had a s/h fan control module on the shelf

Bad news, the wiper puller arrived, but the wipers still do not want to come off  ::)

I've followed the wiring diagram and the explanation above. It seems I should be able to measure the voltage on green / blue wire from pin 14 and see it vary from 0 to 5 volts with the visual display of fan speed ?

If it does then that would confirm the fan control module has failed providing a full current route to earth ??
« Last post by carrera on 13 November 2018, 01:59:16 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that, confirms what I suspected.

You access this from the top, via the plenum don't you, small box with heat sinks on top, part number 48 69 327 ? - I'm still waiting for my wiper puller to arrive.

Are there any tests that can be done to confirm the diagnosis / test the fan control unit when removed?

Classic Saab 9-5 (MY 1998-2010) / Re: Graphite Green 9-5 Aero rescue
« Last post by carrera on 13 November 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
Thanks for that.

I'm just wanting to get the car on the road rather than invest in upgrades - TBH I'm happy enough with the suspension on my blue Aero, the grey one is not as good, but that has inferior tyres on, at the moment.

I guess the dampers are one way only, so it's only the bump valveing which varies. If that is the difference then I need to find the same part number or a matched pair. It's getting more expensive.
Classic Saab 9-5 (MY 1998-2010) / Re: STRANGE INTERIOR LIGHT BEHAVIOUR
« Last post by carrera on 13 November 2018, 12:53:09 PM »
That wiring diagram is from the Body - tailgate part of WIS, rather than the Electrical - Luggage compartment lighting section, which is perhaps simpler to understand
« Last post by collywobble on 13 November 2018, 12:17:19 PM »
Opened car this morning to get squeegee out to wipe water off windows for SWMBO to get to work and she asked me to put a couple of bags in the boot - lights came on, shut boot and they didn't go off!   So to avoid the battery going flat I took all three lights out of the car. 

Phoenix - that wiring diagram looks nothing like the one I downloaded from WIS!
Classic Saab 9-5 (MY 1998-2010) / Re: Graphite Green 9-5 Aero rescue
« Last post by sgould on 13 November 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
Saab seemed to try a lot of suspension variations, then settle on a final one. 

If you are looking to change all the suspension, then you should look at the "B12" kit.  This is the Bilstein B8 dampers and struts along with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs.  I have it on my 2007 estate and it's very good.  My kit came with new front top mounts "for free".  These mounts were the most expensive free item I have had.  They lasted about 500 miles before falling apart...
« Last post by phoenix on 13 November 2018, 09:52:02 AM »
It does sound like an issue with the fan controller. Here's the description of operation:

The fan is supplied with +30 from fuse 22. The control module regulates a control unit
which supplies the fan motor on the ground side. The fan control unit is situated on the
driver's side of the heating and ventilation unit and is cooled by the flow of air in the
evaporator.

The fan control unit is supplied with B+ from pin 5 on the ACC unit and power grounded
from grounding point G41P. The ground lead is also reference ground from pin 35 on the
ACC unit. The fan control unit is controlled by an analogue voltage of 0-5 V from pin 14 on
the ACC unit. The fan current increases as the control voltage increases.

A simpler summary of this is that one side of the fan is connected to the battery +ve terminal all the time, the other side is connected to ground via the controller.

Here's a list of all the codes:

Code   Problem   OBD
1   Internal control module malfunction   B1605
2   Cabin temperature sensor - open or short circuit   B1350
3   Solar sensor   B1340
4   Mixed-air temperature sensor, LH - open or short circuit   B1345
5   Mixed-air temperature sensor, RH - open or short circuit   B2345
6   Stepping motor, air-mixing flap, LH - open or short circuit   B2490
7   Stepping motor, air-mixing flap, LH - motor jam   B2496
8   Stepping motor, air-mixing flap, LH - no mechanical contact with flap   B2495
9   Stepping motor, air-mixing flap, RH - open or short circuit   B2290
10   Stepping motor, air-mixing flap, RH - motor jam   B2296
11   Stepping motor, air-mixing flap, RH - no mechanical contact with flap   B2295
12   Stepping motor, air distribution flap - open or short circuit   B2400
13   Stepping motor, air distribution flap - motor jam   B2406
14   Stepping motor, air distribution flap - no mechanical connection between motor and flap   B2405
18   Solenoid valve, heat exchanger shut-off valve - open or short circuit   B2375
19   Circulation pump - open or short circuit   B2380
20   Ventilation fan   B2425
21   DC motor, air recirculation flap - open or short circuit   B2410
22   ACC software   
23   Sensor Ground   B2945

« Last post by phoenix on 13 November 2018, 09:03:29 AM »
There's two microswitches in the tailgate lock:

56 Switch, luggage compartment lighting, in the tailgate lock
184H Motor, central locking system, tailgate in tailgate
388 Switch, tailgate in the driver's door
540 Main instrument unit, in dashboard in front of driver
594 Relay, motor, tailgate on main relay board in dashboard
622 Microswitch, tailgate lock in the tailgate lock
632 Control module, TWICE under left-hand seat

8-pin connectors
H8-1 Black connector by LH tailgate hinge
H8-2 Grey connector by LH tailgate hinge

« Last post by carrera on 13 November 2018, 08:45:41 AM »
I don't There's no electrical circuit through the latch / striker plate.

I would remove and leave off the tailgate trim, just for ease of access. Then disconnect the microswitch connections. I think that will mean the car will see the tailgate is "open" and the lights will stay permanently on until timed out. Remove the connections to the bulbs and the lights won't illuminate. I think you should get a tailgate open message on SID

That's really just for diagnosis purposes, but you should find that the behaviour of the car is consistent. Someone has done that on my green car, I have not fixed it yet

Next, take another look at the microswitch. Is it in good condition, terminals secure, is it fixed firmly to the mechanism, is there a firm click when it is moved?

I think that's where your problem is, and agree the intermittent nature makes it look like a poor electrical connection. It's more complex than on an older car because the power to the lights is controlled by TWICE and DICE

When I look at my green one I might be able to help more  ;)

« Last post by collywobble on 12 November 2018, 09:00:12 PM »
It's a 2003MY and doesn't have the hidden lock in the tailgate.  I have ordered a new striker for the latch as a long shot in case the plastic covering on the old one is worn enough to allow a short from the latch.

The fact that it's an intermittent fault makes me think it some sort of electrical problem - unfortunately I am not very good with automotive electrics - only happy to work on house wiring or package sewage treatment plants!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10