Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bear in mind that the Saab settings will err on the safe side and show a slightly higher speed than you are actually doing, so even a Tech2 won't necessarily give you 100% accuracy.  As the tyre wears, the speed error will increase. 

The difference in the diameter of a new tyre to a fully worn one is around 12mm, or about 2% of the overall diameter.

The difference in diameter between a 225/40 tyre and a 225/45 tyre is about 22mm or 3.5% of the overall diameter.

Speedometers can be up to 10% fast and 0% slow.  So the speedometer error is a fair bit bigger than the tyre size change would alter the speedo.  All in all, I think the whole thing is nothing to worry about, especially as manufacturer tyre sizes are only nominal and can often bear no relation to the actual tyre dimensions.
I can't recall exactly which menu it is in Tech-II, I think it's under "common adjustments" and then "wheel size" and then it lets you pick wheels+tyre sizes. It might also be in the menu for the MIU (main instrument unit) which is the speedo head unit.
Ah ok, got you now ;)

These wheels have been on the car for years. Is it a question of hooking up Tech2 to identify the speedo cal and resetting if necessary?
Hi all - remembered to have a look in the handbook, because I was sure the tyres I have are equivalent to tyres specified for Saab 18" alloys. Sure enough, manual says 225/45.

The speedo will be calibrated to whatever tyre size and wheel combination the car was supplied with unless someone has changed this with Tech-II.
Had another look at the glovebox and noticed there is some play in the left hand side towards the bottom. Not sure if that's normal, or if there may be a fixing broken or missing?
Hi all - remembered to have a look in the handbook, because I was sure the tyres I have are equivalent to tyres specified for Saab 18" alloys. Sure enough, manual says 225/45.
Classic Saab 9-5 (MY 1998-2010) / Re: Two days in...
« Last post by sgould on 25 May 2018, 09:11:14 PM »
We will be on the train again from Heidelberg to Köln tomorrow.  Apart from last Saturday night, we have reached all of our booked hotels on time. :)

We spoke to the garage this afternoon and they are hopeful that the car will be ready on Tuesday.  If so, we will pick it up on our way back to Calais, stay overnight as planned in Calais, and home on Thursday morning.
« Last post by twosaabs on 25 May 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
Many thanks. It's only a weekend trip and I can usually manage without a fill France side at all.

Are you now stuck for the weekend?
« Last post by sgould on 25 May 2018, 10:25:44 AM »
Fill up with fuel in the UK. France is very expensive at the moment. Our full tank got us to Luxembourg where 98 is €1.31/litre.

French motorway prices go up to €1.86/litre!!!! :o

Supermarkets are a bit cheaper but still around €1.50.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with changing the gearbox oil as I can't think of ever seeing a 5 speed with a box failure or that got noisy or hard to select, anyway the part no. is 93165290 for the oil a dry gearbox holds 1.9 litres so you'd want 2 litres of that, should be available from Vauxhall dealerships.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10