Author Topic: Tow bars  (Read 5840 times)

tog

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Tow bars
« on: 13 February 2013, 07:50:27 PM »
Is there any magic to removing a tow bar from a 9000?  Or do I just get down there and unbolt it?  I assume the electrics just unplug.  I haven't looked yet as the weather has been so foul and not conducive to lying on my back in the mud, but are there any tips I should be aware of?  Unfortunately it's not the nice easily removable one my last 9000 had.

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: Tow bars
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2013, 09:51:34 PM »
Dunno if a 9000 is much different leccy-wise than a 9-3, but if it has dedicated electrics then disconnection may be simple. OTOH, if like my current car, it has mere basic trailer facility, ie no charging or fridge (more of my situation later in the 9-3 section - lol) then it may need some more careful disconnecting eg unsoldering, as it probably has a by-pass type set-up where the lights/indicator wires have been soldered into the main rear loom. Google 'Ryder' for info or have a look at:-

http://caravanchronicles.com/guides/understanding-caravan-and-tow-car-electrics/

HTH
Pete

bc109

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2013, 05:47:32 PM »
Depends !.........my 9000CD had a towbar that was easy to remove.  On the other hand, the CSE had a towbar that required the back bumper to be released somewhat in order to withdraw some of the bolts.
Have a look.  The electrics are not a problem, unless it's an aftermarket wiring bodge , in which case, a pair of cutters and some insulating tape might be required.
Whether you remove the boot lining to disconnect the wiring is your personal choice.
Have fun !

tog

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2013, 07:47:22 PM »
Thanks, I'll try to get stuck in over the weekend.  I bought the car a month ago, but am still banging my shins on the bloody thing far too often so it's coming off!

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2013, 10:05:08 PM »
I bang my shins on ours quite regularly. However, I am a clumsy old git, also as a caravanner, it stays on. LOL.

wallsm

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
Hi, the bar comes off in afew minutes.
I can't remember how the electrics detach, it should be fairly simple.

Happy motoring.