Author Topic: 9-5 alarm unit repair  (Read 12324 times)

dave225

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
9-5 alarm unit repair
« on: 07 January 2015, 06:52:59 PM »
Can anyone confirm if I take the siren unit off, to replace the batteries etc, is the car still driveable?

Also, can you get the CR2 batteries with the correct solder tabs anywhere else than the folk on ebay charging £20?
I dare say you could wire tab-less ones up somehow - has anyone done that? They only £1.50 each elsewhere.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: 9-5 alarm unit repair
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2015, 07:00:59 PM »
It's fine, it will put a "service theft alarm" message on the SID unless someone has disabled it. I've still not got around to sorting out my siren after removing it over a year ago.

Paper Plane

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2015, 08:54:42 PM »
Next question then.

How do I get the d*mn thing off? (The one on the 9-5 Estate has started to play up)

Thanks

steve

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2015, 09:21:50 PM »
You jack the car up, remove the passenger side front wheel and the inner wing liner and then it's held in place with 2 10mm screws towards the front of the car.

Paper Plane

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2015, 06:09:11 PM »
Thanks.

One more thing. Is there a fuse I can pull that will disable it?

Cheers

steve

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2015, 06:46:49 PM »
One more thing. Is there a fuse I can pull that will disable it?

Not quite sure what you mean but there's no fuse as if there was then any car thief could just break in and remove the fuse to disable the system. The way to resolve this is to remove the siren and get it repaired, once you remove the siren you don't have to do anything else as the car will just report "service theft alarm" but everything will carry on as normal just the alarm won't make any sound.

Paper Plane

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2015, 07:29:14 PM »
Thanks again.

steve

Neil of Stevenage

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
Next question then.

How do I get the d*mn thing off? (The one on the 9-5 Estate has started to play up)

Thanks

steve

Are you sure it is the alarm unit at fault?  A faulty Tilt sensor can produce the same symptoms. TechII can tell you if the sensor is at fault.

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
If it is tilt sensor at fault, I had that and just got them to disable it on tech II. Much cheaper than a repair, and still have an otherwise working intruder/theft alarm.

Paper Plane

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2015, 08:38:02 PM »
The alarm goes off randomly if the key is double-clicked. Single clicking means it doesn't, so I was guessing it was the alarm at fault.

steve

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2015, 09:47:27 PM »
Does double click set full alarm? If so could we'll be tilt sensor. That's what mine did - went off randomly...tech II will tell.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2015, 10:52:30 PM »
No it doesn't.

If you want to disable the tilt sensor, and the glass break sensor, press the Night Panel button just before you open the door to leave the car.  SID will say "Door alarm only".

If the alarm still goes off, it's the siren unit under the wing.

But if you are just getting the "service alarm" warning with no random alarm, you may just be pressing the button on the remote too quickly for the second click.  Leave a good two seconds between the presses.  That's assuming that you have the double lock set on the remote.  First press locks the car.  second press deadlocks the car.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2015, 10:56:52 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2015, 09:31:42 AM »
Mine must be programmed single click only. When I did the disable tilt manually, problem stopped, so indie just disabled tilt permanently with Tech II and problem solved.

dave225

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2015, 03:34:05 PM »
I get: -
THEFT PROTECTION FAILURE
CONTACT SERVICE
There are rare times it doesn't appear.
I've perhaps jumped to the conclusion I need to do the batteries and/or capacitors, but I'm aware other sensors can die too. Can anyone tell by this message what has failed?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2015, 04:04:07 PM »
I've perhaps jumped to the conclusion I need to do the batteries and/or capacitors, but I'm aware other sensors can die too. Can anyone tell by this message what has failed?

You can't tell just from the message, you'll need to use Tech-II to read the fault codes in the alarm unit. Of course this will probably cost around the same as a DIY fix for the alarm batteries which will die at some point so maybe you should just do them anyway. It's a bit of a gamble but if you replace the batteries and you still get the warning you'll have to pay someone some money to tell you what's wrong, if it's the tilt sensor then it can just be disabled (quite likely but not as likely as the alarm batteries) however it could be another fault (quite rare).