Author Topic: Warped brake disk  (Read 2666 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Warped brake disk
« on: 22 May 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
I have a warped brake disk on the front nearside.

Would I get away with replacing that one disk and pads for both sides, or would I be better to replace both disks? They're only a year old, so the other one should have plenty of life in it.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Warped brake disk
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2018, 11:37:28 AM »
What make?

Unlikely to be warped. More likely that you have brake pad material bonded to the disc.

Don’t keep your foot on the brake after a heavy stop. With luck it will wear off.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2018, 11:48:06 AM »
It was in for a major service yesterday and I asked them to check the brakes. They put it on a machine where they spun the disk and said it was warped. To be honest I think it's been like this since they were fitted. Most journeys you don't feel anything, though there is vibration on hard braking from speed.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2018, 04:20:08 PM »
Is it really warped, or just runout from having some dirt trapped behind the disc when it was fitted?  Similar readings but different cause.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2018, 04:30:30 PM »
Fitted last May. There was vibration back then. My fault for not pursuing I suppose.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2018, 09:48:05 PM »

Kev if it is warped,  always replace any brake or major suspension component in pairs.

I had an instance of fitting new brake discs (to a Peugeot - the car I owned before my SAAB) and they were warped on fit! They were cheapish ones. but not regarded as real cheap and nasty.
Then I had an issue with the same car pulling after fitting new pads. In the end I just could not see what was wrong or why it was pulling so, exasperated, I switched the pads  from left to right and it pulled in the other direction - cheap and dodgy brake pads   >:(

Dont buy cheap if you can help it; choose Brembo or my own preference - Pagid.
Check Halfrauds - I just bought a set of Pagid discs for my Jimny far cheaper at Halfords than anywhere else, and that was without using my trade card.

Like Sgould says there could be dirt trapped OR...  I've had it where corrosion under the disc has caused it to shake.