Author Topic: DRIVER'S DOOR SEAL  (Read 2720 times)

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
DRIVER'S DOOR SEAL
« on: 06 August 2018, 05:41:40 PM »
The rubber door sealing strip - part no. 4698411 - that is fitted to the driver's door aperture is starting to disintegrate and I have purchased a new genuine Saab one.

Is it a difficult job to fit - the WIS doesn't deal with removing it or fitting a new one so I assume that it's a case of pulling the old one off, cleaning any muck off the door frame, cutting the new one to the same length as the old one and fitting it in place....anyone done this on their car and can warn me of any possible pitfalls?

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
Re: DRIVER'S DOOR SEAL
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2018, 10:05:50 PM »
I have a vague recollection that I did this many years ago, but can't remember the details. But I would suggest that you don't cut it to what you think is the correct length and then fit it. I think you'll find that  it might be better to fit it, and then trim it just before you reach the end while you still have a couple of inches or so to go. Otherwise, just a small amount of compression or tension as you fit it round the various turns and angles of the door aperture could mean it's ultimately too short.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2018, 10:43:59 PM »
I changed one on my car some years ago.  I don't remember having to cut anything.  You can check the length. Take the old one off and check it against the new one! :)

Just make sure that the seal is pressed (hammered!!) firmly into all the corners.  If you fit the two ends together to start with and work away from the join you can compress the seal along its length if there appears to be any slack. It can help a bit if you lever off the A pillar trims.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2018, 09:16:16 AM »
It is very straightforward. I changed one on my drivers side DE 9.5 last year. You simply pull the old one off, then with the flat of your hand, hit the new one on. No glue or cutting required - only make sure the shape is in the right position.
The one I used was passenger side as they are the same.