Author Topic: What do we all do????  (Read 31507 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Re: What do we all do????
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2011, 09:10:37 PM »
True Geoff but whats worrying me is I seem to be the only one so far that Clarkson has stereotyped for Saab!!!!

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 October 2011, 07:34:36 AM »
That's because Clarkson has no imagination or originality. Turn him sideways and he vanishes - totally 2-dimensional.

IMHO TG has utterly destroyed any hope of there ever being a decently informative motoring programme on mainstream TV again. The "Used Car Roadshow" is narrowly informative....may be OK if you ARE looking to buy a car of the type they are showing, but otherwise...? Fifth Gear? Gone downhill rapidly....I'm not interested in whether a Lambo is a better car than a Porsche....       

Regardless of any initial intent on the part of other programme makers, they all end up making TG clones for the ratings, and they therefore get the same audience - "blokes". Plus an occasional "lad" who will grow up to be a "bloke".

Dammit, we "chaps" want a look in!
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree with you CitTone, but nevertheless I do find some of TG amusing. I have tried to watch Fifth Gear, and it's just - well, lame and boring. I don't think I have even heard of the Used Car Roadshow! I do like some of Clarksons eccentricity even though he can be shallow at times.

I like some aspects of TG but wish it would connect with the real-world of motoring and look both subjectively and objectively at everyday motoring and include  comparisons for the average, and even below-average motorist.

I have to say - the recent look at the three wheel Robin Reliant had me crying with laughter - I know this was all staged but it was still funny - at least I thought so.

Baxlin

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2011, 09:12:07 AM »
I have to say - the recent look at the three wheel Robin Reliant had me crying with laughter - I know this was all staged but it was still funny - at least I thought so.

Reliant Robin, please!!!   

Not Robin Reliant, that's like saying Veyron Bugatti (that was the closest comparison I could think of......... :)) )

john

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • 2020 Volvo S60 Polestar, 2020 BMW RNineT Scrambler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 October 2011, 09:25:04 AM »
oooh, handbags at dawn ;) :D

Right, I'm off to work.  Time to fire up the 9-5 Saab8)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 October 2011, 10:56:16 AM »
I prefer to watch TG after recording it. Then when it gets to the "star" in a reasonably priced car bit, I can see who it is then fast forward through 15 minutes of guff.

And I think it must be written in Hammond's contract that he must take all the insults Clarkson throws at him and not respond by punching him in the beergut.

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 October 2011, 09:11:12 PM »
.... I do find some of TG amusing.....

Damning with faint praise, I think that's called!

I still want to see a motoring show about real-world motoring. Yes, I know it would be boring to the majority of people, but, guess what, the things other people find exciting, I find boring.

Sorry - this needs a thread of its own - I'll be off into my "marketing people will be the first up against the wall come the revolution" rant otherwise.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #22 on: 15 October 2011, 11:32:46 AM »

Reliant Robin, please!!!   

Not Robin Reliant, that's like saying Veyron Bugatti (that was the closest comparison I could think of......... :)) )

Baah! You're talking my kind of pedantry, but the same difference applies - it's still a Resinrocketthreepinplugplasticpigtupperwaretripod

What? You mean that Bugatti isn't built by Veyron? ...Something new every day  ::)  ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: 15 October 2011, 11:34:34 AM by Trenchfoot »

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 October 2011, 05:27:42 PM »
Another tale from me - my first crash involved a Reliant. Driving my dad's Morris 1100, an old chap (probably the age  am now!) drove into my rear passenger door. His front wing split perfectly along the vertical edge by the headlamp and right along the top back to the base of the A pillar. The panel was just flapping in the breeze, he broke it off and threw it in the car. He probably fixed it with a tube of Bostik. The dent in my door just popped out.

(BTW, what we all probably think of as a Reliant Robin - the saloon version Del Boy's van - is actually a Reliant Regal...)

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 October 2011, 01:42:39 PM »

GeoffW

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Sadly now Saabless, what next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2011, 08:34:48 PM »
GeoffW - you are at either Brtish Aerospace Filton or RR where my builder/ wifes cousins son is doing his year out from Bristol Uni and loving it with promise of job at end of degree
Airbus - worked on A380 landing gear design, now working on the new A350 landing gear and bits of fuel systems. Also working on a  completely different bit of the aircraft to do with the rejig of the A320 to keep it ahead of Boeing. Can't be bad when you're into your 6th decade and still involved in leading edge stuff!

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2011, 11:24:05 PM »
Laughingly semi-retired.

Psychologist and counsellor.

Took EVR from my main work when it was offered at the beginning of the year - Royal Mail - after having first started 30 years previously with them. Ended up as a Senior H&S Consultant (according to them), but did a variety of jobs over the years, blue and white collar.

Currently looking after a team of ten in facilities management (part-time), but will move on if the right position comes along.

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 October 2011, 07:32:20 AM »
Airbus -..........the rejig of the A320
Ahhh, memories....t'was but a paper aeroplane when I were there....

A310 wing - CAD layout of the machining facets on the "plank"....ribs (especially the gear rib)....smuggling a filter coffee machine in and stashing it under a flatbed plotter in No8 DO when the management explicitly banned kettles in the office.....

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 October 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
So am I the only mug in architecture that has to deal with super lareg egotistic builders who have 'done it before mate' who don't like the 'not like that mate' reply!

Mind you it's quite fulfilling telling them they've got something wrong and won't sign it off for payment until it is built 'as my drawing please'! :)

I do however visit some really wonderful houses that no one else generally see's.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
that no one else generally see's.

Not like you Jim, to let a rogue apostrophe slip in!