Author Topic: Astra VXR 'Aero' pack?????!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9823 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Astra VXR 'Aero' pack?????!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: 15 June 2012, 10:23:45 AM »
It just goes to show that even when people think the vauxhall is a better car they still buy the Saab.

Except they don't, that's the whole point of why Saab went bankrupt and effectively no longer exist as the company they once did! It's entirely about how many cars get sold, if they don't get sold then the companies stop existing and this is why the Saab that used to exist and that we all like doesn't exist any more and never will exist again.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 June 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
Hi Audax, yes, that's what it's all about - perception. People aspire to own something they believe is better when in many cases - not all, true - it isn't. Which is one reason why I believe most of the cars with the badge delete option exercised are bottom of the range. And why so many 1.9/2.0 diesel A4 drivers think they can outrun my 2.3t 9-5. 

I agree about the Mondeo/BMW, I was just using those as comparisons. If they're compared either on a similar price basis or engine output basis then the Mondeo is usually the better choice - you get more bang for your buck, and similar quality too. Where BMW/Audi win is higher up the range. I agree there's something about a 330d badge,  and bettered only by 335d - or 535d. And when they can say their top of the range is the M3 or M5, then, well, no contest for Ford/Vauxhall etc.

I believe that if GM had invested in Saab from the outset then we would now be seeing a strong competitor for the German brands instead of raking over the ashes. There was a risk of VW going under in the 70s when it was struggling to replace the Beetle, (I used to read the FT then  :( :-[ ) and look where VW and its subsidiaries are now after some serious long-term investment.

(As for recent comparisons between ten year old cars, and ones aimed at different customers, I don't see any relevance. The build quality of cars today by Ford/Vauxhall etc are in a different  league from their predecessors.)

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 June 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
Even when Saab is long gone which I hope not they'll still be better cars than vauxhall.
Secondhand prices are on the rise in saabs so depreciation will be better now.
Question to all
WHAT WOULD YOU BUY POST HERE.
 VAUXHALL ASTRA VERT 2.0 turbo on say a 2000 my Or

SAAB 9-3 VERT 2.0 turbo same year.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 June 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
All cars new or less than 6 months old are going to be nice to ride in (normally) but are we really comparing like for like?

I see where you are coming from Geoff but if you were given a 6 month old Saab 9-5 (yeh I know impossible at the moment) and a 6 month old Vauxhall that where they should be compared for ride and handling etc. My 03 aero with Hirsch suspension and 128k was more comfortable than my friends mid range insignia in many ways and its handling was far superior. He agreed with me. So what would a new 9-5 be like to compare????????

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #19 on: 15 June 2012, 11:29:21 AM »

WHAT WOULD YOU BUY POST HERE.

Nothing from GM  >:(

TBH it's a good question, and so far as I know there is nothing that can tick all the boxes that my convertible does. If there is, I probably can't afford it!  :-\ :)

If I had to suddenly find a replacement, I would try and look for a last-off the line version of what I already have

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 June 2012, 11:59:04 AM »
Couple of interesting strands developing here:

Aero - it was donated to Saab once GM bought 50% of the company in 1989, the name could not be used on the original 900 T16S models because GM owned the name...It's a bit naff of Vauxhall to use the name to be honest but it won't matter to most people who buy Astras anyway.  Also, don't forget that in the past few years the badge was somewhat dumbed down by Saab such that the only visible differences between Vector and Aero was a bit of shiny plastic in the front fog lamp apertures...

I had three Astras - not bad cars - as good as any hatch available, did nothing brilliantly but more importantly did nothing badly.

In terms of longevity - the 9000 was last made in 1998 as was the last NG 900 - now compare how many of these survive compare with early Mk1 Vectra and Mondeo, late 90s BMW, Merc, Audi in terms of numbers built.  You do see fewer early 9-3 and 9-5 but that is due to sludge....