Author Topic: Serious tyre problem today - can't find a solution  (Read 16924 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Serious tyre problem today - can't find a solution
« Reply #30 on: 08 August 2015, 03:41:33 PM »
The 914's are very noisy and the fronts have developed scalloping on the outside edges which I think was the cause of the intermittent vibration that I have posted about previously.

You know what, similar thing here. I keep thinking *something* is wrong with the suspension/steering as there's a vibration at speed, it was fine in winter until the summer tyres got put on and immediately wasn't as good however I did then have some work done with new bushes and steering parts and then tracking done and it has got worse, but I am putting it down to the tyres getting worse.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #31 on: 10 August 2015, 08:53:47 AM »
It is now a couple of years since I had the tracking checked and it would be sensible to do it before fitting new tyres. Last time I had them done at Protyre in Exeter who did a very good job and the difference was immediately noticeable.  As Exeter is a 100+ mile round trip a local garage  has recently invested in a 4-wheel tracking jig than uses cameras instead of lasers.  They have told me that it is better than laser tracking - has anybody got any experience with what I assume is the latest development in wheel alingment?

Also any other suggestions for a decent medium price tyre for my 9-5 estate?  Needs to be XL rated and bear in mind my car is a 2.2 TiD and not a 2.3 AERO!!!!!!!

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 August 2015, 09:17:30 AM »
Best tyres I've had on the same car were Goodyear assymetrics. I also recently had uni royal rainsport3 which I really liked and were at a great price on lovetyres.

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 September 2015, 09:02:37 AM »
I had the same issue earlier this year with a nearside front which deteriorated rapidly.  My tyre was a Kleber Quadraxer..  Not consistent all the way round, I suspected speed bumps were eating away at the rubber.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #34 on: 15 October 2015, 02:34:59 PM »
Rear tyres now replaced with Nokian Line 215/55/16" 93V XL.  The wear on the Falken Ziex 914's which came off the front was very similar to the scalloping that is common on the rears and the intermittent vibration was obviously as a result a  combination of this and a rough road surface.

All is quiet now with no vibration in evidence.

Paper Plane

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 October 2015, 08:02:08 PM »
I would be interested to know too as my 9-5 Aero Hot Estate had the same thing on both rear tyres. These were Goodyears about a year old.

Now fitted some new Michelin CrossClimates all round

Thanks

steve
« Last Edit: 17 October 2015, 08:05:01 PM by Paper Plane »

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 October 2015, 07:34:16 PM »
Would be very interested to hear your experiences of the michelins as I'm thinking about those next.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #37 on: 18 October 2015, 08:53:59 PM »
It seems that the Cross Climate tyres are becoming available from other manufacturers.  I came across these last week and will have a serious think when the time comes to change.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/all-weather-tyres/nokian-weatherproof/
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

jmblack

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 October 2015, 08:20:34 AM »
Was thinking about those too as I use the WR A3 tyre year round now. Michelin gets a w rating though..

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 October 2015, 09:57:25 AM »
We've had the Cross Climates on my wifes Golf since the tyre came out and I must admit they really are superb in the wet and dry come to think of it. The only downside, if you could cause it a downside is that they do tend to pick up stones - especially they horrible chippings they put on the road. Twice I have had to have a piece removed from one of her front calipers which never happened with the normal primacy's but bang for bucks they are brill. Test obviously will be when it gets really cold and we get a sprinkle of that white stuff or a hard frost.

wallsm

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 October 2015, 07:38:35 PM »
Hi Sgould, is the car an estate.
This happened to me and turned out to be a combination of trailing arm bushes and camber at +3 on both rear wheels, ie folding in. Once I sorted the camber she was fine.
Strangely, she would eat a different corner each time, front or rear.
Park on a level surface, put a small level on the wheel rim, measure the gap to the vertigal, each 1 mm is approximately equal to 1 degree, ( cos theta is approximately equal to 0 for small angles ).  I installed 2mm of shims on the top inner hub to bring back to approximately 1 deg.

Hope this helps, I got through 12 tyres in a year trying to get to the bottom of it.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #41 on: 19 October 2015, 11:43:44 PM »
Since the problem I've had new suspension and new tyres and a four wheel alignment.  Keeping an eye on tyres.  They seem OK at the moment.  Rear suspension was re-bushed last year.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.