Author Topic: access to centre console cubby - ipod install  (Read 2763 times)

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
access to centre console cubby - ipod install
« on: 05 August 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
Quite liking my new purchase (58 9-5 aero estate) and after a new set of tyres she sounds much happier than with the tomato skins that were on it when I picked it up.

The car has the dense (sic) sat-nav and no aux, currently weighing up a handsfree/aux install to allow phone and iPod integration. I have ordered some bits and pieces based on this thread in order to complete the install.

my current thinking is to run the usb/ipod/aux from the kit into the cubby under the armrest in the centre console - I am often in the car by myself making the physical connetion to the ipod in a place readily accessible from the driver's seat is preferred - obviously that would be outweighed by the complexity of the install. So could do with some pointers on how easy it would be to run cables from the rear of the stereo to the cubby in the centre console and what I need to remove in order to do that.

An obvious alternative would be run usb/ipod/aux cable into the glove box, that would be second choice but as I said would depend on the complexity of the preferred option described above.

thanks in advance

W
« Last Edit: 05 August 2015, 03:29:16 PM by weetabixface »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: access to centre console cubby - ipod install
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2015, 08:29:30 PM »
I have a twin cable (quite thick) with aa break for a USB connection in on of the two cables. This runs from the back of my Kenwood head unit to the centre cubby.

I have run it to the passenger side, out beside the centre console at the front, then along the outside of the console under the carpet cover to the back.  It comes out beyond the carpet and I run it up alongside the passenger seat back (which holds it in place as well, and then into the centre cubby.  The lid on the cubby has a gap that allows it to close with the cable in place.  This method allows you some slack so that you can bring the phone closer to you if necessary, while keeping it connected.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
Re: access to centre console cubby - ipod install
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2015, 06:05:11 PM »
the car I originally installed the handsfree was written off so after picking up another 58 aero at the weekend I installed the handfree in the new (to me) vehicle

in the new car the sid displays "TELEPHONE" whenever the handsfree is being used for any of its functions, calling, menu navigation or music playback through the iPod interface - on journeys playing music from the iPod I would prefer the see the main and trip odometers rather than the "TELEPHONE" message

it is not something that happened with the original install so is this an option that can be programmed in/out - if so how?

cars are both '58 and 1st registered within days of each other so I would expect them to be equivalent models

W