Author Topic: 2.3HOT Aero Estate  (Read 12416 times)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Re: 2.3HOT Aero Estate
« Reply #30 on: 10 July 2013, 07:31:40 PM »
How much is deisel up there these days?

Huge variations around the country, but between 135p and 149p a litre. Typical is around 140-ish local to me. Diesel is around 5 pence litre dearer than unleaded. Current exchange rate is 1 Aussie dollar gets around 61 pence, or one pound gets a dollar and 63 cents. So the equivalent for diesel would be around two dollars 28cents. Very roughly. Very very roughly.
I guess you're paying a lot less?

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 July 2013, 09:36:23 AM »
My 2.3HOT auto estate has consistently returned 27mpg in everyday use, including A-roads but no motorways. On longer journeys consisting of mainly motorway, it has consistently returned 33mpg, but never more. It doesn't seem to matter whether we cruise at 70mph or 100mph. We now live in Austria so it has had a good number of long-distance motorway thrashes across Germany! It has now covered 196,000 trouble free miles and the consumption hasn't really changed over the last six years and 125,000 miles that we've owned the car.

My experience with my old 9-5 Aero Estate Auto was more like this. I averaged 26mpg to 28mpg when not trying, though found it difficult to get over 30mpg even on a run. Was easier to break 30mpg in my old A8 4.2V8! I went for it one time on a trip back home on the motorway - I got 36mpg driving 56mph, though what I saved in fuel was offset with the cost of new underpants with so many people nearly rear-ending me as they assumed I was going quicker! It's a lot safer going with the flow of the traffic IMHO..

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 July 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

...I got 36mpg driving 56mph, though what I saved in fuel was offset with the cost of new underpants with so many people nearly rear-ending me as they assumed I was going quicker! It's a lot safer going with the flow of the traffic IMHO..

So true.
A few years back I had to drive with the skinny spare for a few days. Holding around 55 on cruise on a fast dual carriageway I was using at the time, it was frightening how fast - and close before overtaking - cars behind came up.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 July 2013, 10:32:19 AM »

So true.
A few years back I had to drive with the skinny spare for a few days. Holding around 55 on cruise on a fast dual carriageway I was using at the time, it was frightening how fast - and close before overtaking - cars behind came up.

Particularly bad when  trying to overtake a lorry doing 53mph.  :o

steventon95

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 7
  • 9-5 Aero Estate and a 9-5 Saloon (both ancient)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 July 2013, 10:52:30 AM »
This why one of my first jobs with the new buggy has been to order a new rim from the Bay of Plenty. I still have the old rim from the previous car but it's a different pattern. And I can't be having with that stupid spacesaver skinny thng.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 July 2013, 02:02:27 PM »
Diesel is currently 134.7 here in Naarich and its Shell!

I had to fill the Ovlov up on Saturday and SWIMBO had a voucher for Tesco.......so off we went into Tesco and filled up (tank is bigger on this than on my old 2.2Tid estate) but when she came back from paying she had a grin on her face...............................using her club card got her about 30p off a litre and saved 17 quid! It was like stepping back to when we paid a pound a litre. She came back later with her own car and did the same and saved herself a tenner.

Back on topic my 2003 Abbott tuned auto aero estate averaged about 24 normal driving and I could eek out 39 on run using V Power. My Hirsched 2.2TiD did make 50 one day. Must say this Ovlov has impressed me as an auto with daily average of 47 and high 50's on run - checked brim to brim...........but few niggles with auto box which is same as Saab one.