Author Topic: 9-5 estate towbar fitting  (Read 8329 times)

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
9-5 estate towbar fitting
« on: 19 June 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
Having read Will's post, and done a bit of searching how difficult is it to fit a flange type towbar to the above? I understand wiring ought to be already installed in the car.
Never having done this before, I am wondering whether this is something I can do, or, for safety reasons, leave to the professionals?
Thanks!

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
Re: 9-5 estate towbar fitting
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2013, 11:03:51 AM »
I got one fitted recently and just went for a standard witter bar from tow equipe - was about £95 if I recall. If you have the wiring there don't need the relay kit. It's obvious if you have the wiring - there's a little connector on rear inside sill under the boot floor.

I got local garage to fit and they charged 2 hours so £60. They said it was a "a bit of a faff" as the bumper needs to come off but actual fitting very straightforward.

Electrics straightforward ( you can get a connector from Saab to make even easier for £50 part no 400 106 308 but I didn't need it) if you have the connector. Much harder if not as I think need to run a power cable to the front.

Total cost me about £160.

Hope this helps.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2013, 11:26:17 AM »
Having strained my back, I haven't been able to get any further with mine.  I found the Bosal parts list and the fitting instructions.

The main items on the towbar fit for 2006 on are:

Remove bumper.
Fit end brackets to bumper.
Drill a pair of extra holes in the body at each end above the existing bumper bolts.
Fit towbar to back of bumper.
Refit bumper, with the existing two nuts, two extra nuts on the existing studs, and two long bolts in the ends.
Fit the four bolts under the bumper for the towbar that go into the body.

Mine is all there.  Almost as the Bosal drawing.  But it's all very rusty and seized.  First long bolt out sheared off.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
Thanks, Gents.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
Just for completeness, here's the Bosal drawing I found for the 9-5 estate from 2006.

The M10 x 70 bolts through washer "4" are the ones that need the body drilling for.

The end brackets (2 & 3) are bolted to the bumper at top and bottom, and fit over the two studs at each end - the ones that go through holes labelled "A".  The car should come with the studs but only one will have a fixing nut. The second nut should come with the towbar kit.  So you end up with three bolts/studs at each end instead of the one that was bolted up from the factory.

The towbar is bolted to the bumper, backwards, with bolts at "D" before the whole thing is put back on the car.  Then the bumper is bolted up and the towbar bottom at "E" & "F".
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
Finally got mine apart today.  Apart from the drilling for the extra holes for the end "C" brackets, it seems fairly straightforward.  The other holes are all there.

My towbar is off the car and ready for painting.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2013, 04:05:45 PM »
When fitting one it is essential you make sure both bolts each side (accessed from inside the car) are secure.

I had one work loose whilst towing a car trailer. I don't think the fitter fully tightened the up and I was aware of a rattle when trailer was empty.

After taking trailer back to hire company I investigated and found top left and bottom right nuts were loose allowing towbar to flex slightly but thankfully caught quick enough to prevent any damage!!! They are a bu55er to get to though in little slots under the side cubbies. I made sure and put second bolt like locknut on each just to be sure!!!!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
I know all about those little holes under the cubbies.  I don'y have the knuckles to prove it!

Was your car missing the  "C" brackets?

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2013, 12:29:22 PM »
No just one set of nuts but thankfully I had them.

I did have to use what seemed about 4 universal joints in socket set to get a good firm hold on them!