Author Topic: House alterations and extensions  (Read 22729 times)

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
House alterations and extensions
« on: 09 November 2018, 10:40:03 PM »
Wife is planning on taking half the garage to use as a utility room  ( could be my new brew house too :-) )

Current plan is to take half the garage  (5m *2.5m) and split into 2* 2.45m long 2.5m wide areas rear for utility, front for tools, tyres and bikes, retaining up and over door.

We are planning a stud wall so it could be reverted to a garage on a sale, keeping options open for buyers later. We've never put a car in it as it's too tight for a real car... a NG9-5 wouldn't even fit!

Wife has mocked up a layout with door on the left from our new extended kitchen.

We are planning to have a new boiler fitted and moved out to this room too.

Requirements are:

Boiler our there, wall mounted
Chest freezer
Sink/drainer
Wall mounted cupboards
some worktops
shoe/boot/cat bowls space

How would you lay it out?
North is too the left
Existing garage door is central back, this will give the house 4 exits (front door, kitchen door, utility door and 4.8m or bi-fold door).

Getting worried as we're about to venture onto 750 sqft of extra house, and changes to every room in the house (bar our bedroom)...

Andrew.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: House alterations and extensions
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2018, 11:35:31 PM »
I've spent two days clearing the old garage.  I'm halfway there.  the "asbestos man" is coming on Tuesday or Wednesday to demolish it.  There's a room going in its place.  The garage was built in 1933 for an Austin 7. 5'-10" between the door posts. I could get an Austin Maxi in and just get out if I twisted and turned.  But then I put on weight.  It can't be made wider, so it's going to be a storage room.

It's coming down first so that the scaffold can go up for the loft conversion and new roof.  Chaos awaits!!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2018, 02:34:41 PM »
Layout looks good. Our garage is long gone but I really do miss not having a workshop space. Planning a large summerhouse/ man cave at the top of the garden when funds allow.
I assume you'll be insulating the external garage walls and ceiling in the new area, Celotex + plasterboard and Celotex between the roof joists? Otherwise it's going to be a cold room.

We're just coming to the end of this. Has been the most stressful out of any work we've had done to the house. Far worse than having the back of house knocked out for the rear extension and not helped by the contractor we used!

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2018, 11:18:52 AM »
Forget Celotex...................................... use Kingspan wall board and stick Isowool 350mm deep between ceiling joists. Celotex has gone downhill since Grenfell and we often have contractors say it's hard to get hold of. Kingspan have been great and have excellent 'U' value calculator, you'll be needing max 0.28 w/m2k for walls - don't forget to comply with Building Regs you'll need to address lack of insulation in floor so your ceiling height may reduce by some 100mm.

If you want to pm some more details I can give you a professional opinion.....................

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2018, 11:45:50 AM »
Our house seems to be going well.  It's only two weeks in.  Scaffolders arrived on Wed 14th Nov.  Builders arrived the following Monday.

Old roof is off, new floor joists and rafters are in. New gable end wall is going up. Plumbing has been relocated.  First fix electricals are in place.  External works and concreting on hold due to heavy rain.

All the workers seem to be Albanian.  They work long hours and don't seem to stop.  Quite pleased with quality and progress so far.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
Our builder still hasn't started...

Was supposed to be May, then Sept, then Nov...

He finished his last job Friday, so any day now??  I think he's just going back to do a couple of days 'fix' on a prev build.

Looks like we are going be in for rotten weather during his works now...

First week will be widening the rear garage door for access with mini digger through garage and removing our 15ft by 15ft dwarf wall conservatory and breaking out the floor (without damaging the gas pipe that runs through it).

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2018, 10:35:30 PM »
Good luck!  the usual builders around here take forever to get going.  When we got quotes in August and firmed them up in September, the locals were quoting a start after Easter.  The Albanian guy was very cheap, and we were wary, but after looking at a couple of his previous jobs in progress, we were reassured.  So, we were going with him and a slightly earlier start in late January, but as we were about to sign up to that, he said that he could start in two weeks, because the couple who owned the house he was about to work on, cancelled the job and decided to get divorced instead!! :o

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2018, 11:25:06 PM »
Looking good sgould!
Our great British builders are now in week 11 of what should have been 6 week build. The end is in sight now though!

Forget Celotex...................................... use Kingspan

I use Celotex colloquially tbh. I've used both kingspan and celotex on some amateur insulation improvements to a bay window. The 50mm Celotex insulated plasterboard I used on the single brick wall of the bay, dot and dabbed on, worked really well for me.

The U value calculator on the kingspan site is cracking. It's been very useful checking up on what our builder's done. He's totally shafted us, going off brief, fitting enough insulation to pass building control but not what we specked. We're basically missing the insulated plasterboard, which I'm sure you know, goes a long way to help cold bridging on stud walls and a cold flat roof! I just wish I'd had more time to check up on the build but I really shouldn't have needed to!
Not best pleased at the moment...

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 November 2018, 08:50:13 AM »
Contact!

Builder texted at 07:12 this morning.

Starts next week..  (is that another builder term time scale?)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
Looking good sgould!
Our great British builders are now in week 11 of what should have been 6 week build. The end is in sight now though!

Forget Celotex...................................... use Kingspan

I use Celotex colloquially tbh. I've used both kingspan and celotex on some amateur insulation improvements to a bay window. The 50mm Celotex insulated plasterboard I used on the single brick wall of the bay, dot and dabbed on, worked really well for me.

The U value calculator on the kingspan site is cracking. It's been very useful checking up on what our builder's done. He's totally shafted us, going off brief, fitting enough insulation to pass building control but not what we specked. We're basically missing the insulated plasterboard, which I'm sure you know, goes a long way to help cold bridging on stud walls and a cold flat roof! I just wish I'd had more time to check up on the build but I really shouldn't have needed to!
Not best pleased at the moment...

Sorry to hear that.

Builders always think they know best for some reason. I love explaining I not only need to be able to draw but also have to have a full understanding of ground bearing and appropriate foundation design and then brick/blockwork, floors and flooring systems (pot and beam, rafts etc) joinery, electrics, insulation, waterproofing and so on and also have full knowledge of the Building Regulations and Planning legislation! Most then shut up others do then when I tell them how long I've spent in architecture (often before they were born). Having said that I do sometimes get thanked for getting them out of trouble quickly!

Have fun with building - I swerved away a bit and now do German Wintergardens all over UK. Solalux do not have any real competition especially as they invented the original sliding folding door system before companies like Sunfold etc were even thought about. Love my work https://www.solarlux.co.uk/en/house-extension.cfm Working on one in central London for exclusive club on Piccadilly - £285k for a canopy!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2018, 03:11:21 PM »
My lot are having a day off today.  So I climbed up and had a look around.

We almost have a room! 

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2018, 12:02:39 AM »
The plastic sheeting was removed from our scaffold on Friday. Seeing yours brings back bad memories, it's bloomin noisy stuff in a gale  :D

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2018, 06:33:08 PM »
Not had a gale yet. But it does rattle!

The scaffold will be coming down next week. Roof is almost fully tiled. A couple of roof lights and the. Painting down to first floor.

The window company recommended by the builder have completed the whole house in two days. :)

Very happy with speed and quality so far.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 December 2018, 01:48:16 PM »
First building works casualty.

Wifes car has been parked in the drive every day for 7.5 yrs with no issues.

3 days on the road (we move it out of the drive at 07:30 and back at 17:00), and it's been hit this morning, culprit has fled the scene.

Grrr.

And the old Conservatory floor is coming up right now, quick check for bodies, and if we can find the culprit driver, maybe space for one more.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2018, 01:54:26 PM by wrighar »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2018, 07:01:21 PM »
Last Wednesday the builders took the felt off the existing flat roof rear extension that we had built in 1983.  They found the joists were rotten, so a whole new flat roof is needed.  They set-to straight away and new joists and decking were in by Friday.

A very cold Saturday set us back a bit.  Too windy for the scaffold to come down and too cold for the new roofing compound.   Monday we got a flat roof on the existing rear extension.  Today the scaffold came down.  Tomorrow the flat roof will be finished and the plasterer will be here to do the loft and repair the damaged plaster in the extension.

But we have what looks like a house! :)  At least at the front.  Some tidying up of the paintwork and cleaning down the new windows.  After Christmas we get the old garage replaced with a room and the driveway paved.