Author Topic: Instrument Cluster testing procedure?  (Read 2767 times)

dave08

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Instrument Cluster testing procedure?
« on: 26 January 2014, 04:08:44 PM »
Hello. Sometimes my speedometer reads above 0 with the engine stopped. It also happened to read bellow the actual speed, after sitting  a few days in the cold. The next restart it will be ok. As for reading above 0, usually it needs a battery disconnect, but it also happened to rectify itself.
Lately I've been closing the car without activating the alarm when parking for a few days and this seems to improve battery charge. Yesterday I made a one hour trip, and on my way back the needle was sitting on about 7km/h. I'm pretty sure this is because the battery was allowed to fully charge after a period of shorter journeys.

Now, I know that other brands allow an instrument cluster test (usually by pressing the trip computer button).
Is this possible to to on a 2005 9-3 TiD? The previous time I had to disconnect the battery was about 6 months ago.
Thanks and regards!
Dave

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Instrument Cluster testing procedure?
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
As far as I'm aware the only way to test a 9-3 cluster is with Tech-2. I have seen a few cars with faulty speedos too, only way to fix was replace them.

dave08

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2014, 10:32:37 AM »
How about an op-com? I was messing with mine yesterday but didn't find a way to test and I got a bit scared today, because right after starting the car I got a P1125 (Throtte actuator error) when still parked, and I think it has to be with my messing yesterday. Clear the error and everything ok.

I was trying to do something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bndw4WIqBTE

or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyhzbSOcqJI

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2014, 05:15:11 PM »
No idea about op-com as I've never used one.