Author Topic: Cleaning Routine  (Read 12651 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Routine
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2012, 10:05:18 AM »
Did anyone see 'Dirty Britain' last night on TV.

There was a guy in Knightsbridge who has a section of underground carpark where he cleans millionaires cars. I couldn't believe what he did.

He was doing what he called a 'deep clean' on a guys Ferrari Scag and it takes 14 days!!!!!! and costs £8k to do. Some of his polish was around £2k and he was using cotton buds and a tooth pick to remove tiny bits of polish round badges. He then has a probe that he passed over the surface to see microscopic particles on the paint surface. When the customer arrived they asked if there were any scratches and the chap said 'I'll give you 50 quid for any you find'!

It truly was mind blowing - 8 grand for 14 days work! Even a normal wash, wax and interior clean was £1500. His tool box looked like a large 'Snap On' chest but with more like women's make up brushes and the like in it.

He had millionaire customers queuing up for it.......................................they need to donate some of their money to charity!!!!!!

BBC2 9pm last night - should be accessible on iPlayer.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2012, 10:16:05 AM »
I didnt see it,  but I'm well aware that a serious valet can cost upwards of 1k. There are devices that measure the thickness of the paint and  the expensive polish you mention was possibly Swizöl which has often got used by various people in the Detailing World website, but there is one that costs far more...

http://most-expensive.net/car-wax

:o

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2012, 04:55:27 PM »
Yep - he says the tub is more than £8k..........................

If you look down the list you'll see link to worlds most expensive car wash and its him detailing a Veyron.

Wax more than 3 times value of my car .............. WTF comes to mind......:(

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2012, 05:22:42 PM »
I'm quietly confident that my car is very shiny.  It's just that the manufacturer covered it in paint to protect the shine...

If I sell the car, some Nitromors would get it shiny quite quickly ;)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2012, 07:15:51 PM »
Smurkenstein how often are you using a mechanical polisher? And is the DA a rotary or orbital? I nearly went down that route when I my old Peugeot but sold the car before I needed it. It's certainly a technique I would like to learn - even if it is scary when you understand the potential damage that can be done!

Another consideration is water hardness. I have a water softener installed (I would never be without it now for more reasons than just car cleaning!) but that helps eliminate those watermarks that Smurkenstein mentioned. My neighbour uses rainwater from the water-butt and finds that to be very soft in comparison to local Cotswold hard water, but I often wonder what chemicals have washed down out of the atmosphere with it.

The megs polisher is DA=dual action (I think therfore it is orbital) - these are the safest type - not too aggressive. I typically use it once a year or when there is a specific defect that needs removing. No prblems so far. I have polished the whole car perhaps three times myself and had it done professionally twice. Even if you dont want to polish the car, its worth the money just to take out surface defects, scuffs, stains, etc.

I have really bad problems with water marks. I live in France and it comes from Aquifers under the ground and it is packed with salts. If you drink a pint of the untreated stuff it will trigger a bowel movement. The drinking stuff goes through reverse osmosis followed charcoal filters, but the throughput is too slow for rinsing the car (and its also hellishly expensive stuff).