Author Topic: Final journey of a 9-5, about to be dismantled  (Read 8515 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Final journey of a 9-5, about to be dismantled
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2019, 09:23:11 PM »
You're correct of course, but removing the suspension still leaves the calipers / hub assembly dangling by the ABS cable.

I'm also being lazy (or making storage easier, you choose which) by not having to undo those well rusted hub to strut bolts
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
Another update after a few more hours work.

Though my main aim is to get the engine out for the Glacier Blue car, I'm just steadily removing all the bits that are in the way and may be of use.

These are the major parts removed:
Radiator
Intercooler
Fan unit
A/C condensor and pipes
n/s front strut.
Main fusebox
Fuel Rail
Vacuum pump for brake servo
Air filter housing
Coolant header tank

The front end is beginning to look a little bare, with quite good access  :). Today I discovered that the auto box is cooled by connections onto the main coolant radiator, which means that the rad is probably of little use to me. I was able to remove the strut after disconnecting the electrical connection for the ABS connection, pussing the rubber to the outside and then forcing the connector through the remaining gap. There's a fair bit of stuff to remove to get access to those if you are doing one in the normal course of repair, especially on the right hand side.

Next steps will be to remove the remaining engine / power steering ancilliaries, and then I think it will be time to remove the drivebelt so the A/c compressor can be removed.

A couple of pictures, the pile of bits is getting bigger  ;)

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
Another little update after another few hours work

First of all, ready for the final two subframe bolts to be removed.  I don't have the Saab engine frame (no surprise there), so am using some cheap furniture dollys which are rated for 270kg each as a base for the engine to be lowered on

..... and a short while later, this was on the floor, crane out of the way

and finally the car is up in the air with a big void

What did I forget you ask ?

Well three items

1. A tie wrap on the right hand wing for the power steering pipe down to the rack
2. To remove one of the electrical contact blocks for the auto transmission from the metal bracket which I had already unbolted. I was a bit peeved with myself over this because I had seen this a few days ago and left it to consider how to remove the connector block without damaging the plastic. Well, despite a few days soaking the plastic / rust bond remained strong, so I ended up doing some damage to the block
3. Second (main) earth strap from the auto bx to the body. Grr, I knew there were two, and made sure I did the one that would be most likely forgotten very early on.

So what do I do now ?

I think I leave the front end and move to the back end and start to remove the rear suspension, with that off I can drop the car onto the deck and move it on dollys out of the way. Interior can follow along with loom and then I can tackle the wiper arms to get to the wiper / fan motor etc.

Should I bother removing the fuel tank complete or just save the pump. I don't suppose there's much call for plastic fuel tanks as they don't rust.  :)

« Last Edit: 13 May 2019, 05:40:40 PM by carrera »

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2019, 07:41:41 PM »
Just the pump... and don't forget the connectors. I chop the lines then gently remove them from the pump. Warming it up and a drop of spray oil helps them release and reduces the risk of the tabs snapping

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2019, 03:50:53 PM »
Thanks for that.

I'm still at the front end, but have just had a little success getting the wiper arms off.

My "proper" wiper puller tool was bending the fingers at the end, even though I was using mole grips to stop the fingers spreading and diesel had been allowed to soak for a few days. One of the rivets holding it together broke as well, so I had to repair with an allen bolt & nut.

Next time I applied the pressure and then used a butane torch on its lowest setting to heat the wiper arm. After a minute or so of applying heat, leaving, applying again to avoid damaging the plastic, there was a reassuring "ping" as metal expansion broke the bond.

I just thought I should share this little tip. It all seems a bit extreme to change a wiper arm  :)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
So todays little successes:

Wiper arms
Plastic scuttle cover
Wiper motor & mechanism
ABS unit
Brake master cylinder
Front brake pipes - still in good condition
Aircon pipes

The brake servo is still on for the moment, I'm not sure if they fail very often. I want to get the fuel rail off without simply chopping the feed hose but I haven't figured out what the special tool actually does yet, so can't figure out how to work around that.  :)

The only things left in the engine bay are the loom and the fuel tank evap system pipes, nearly time for a tidy up and move to the rear

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2019, 01:10:49 PM »
After a bit more work we have

Rear suspension, complete in one piece,
Rear bumper
Petrol flap and solenoid
Rear arch protectors
Rear springs /dampers
Boot carpets and interior
Rear seats - though they were only removed while I was trying to find the ABS sensor connection, which are of course on the hubs  ::)

all removed and the back end is now stripped.

If I remove some of the aluminium heat protection I suspect I will also be able to extract the handbrake cable, maybe I don't even need to do that, it would seem to be a lot of work for an "in use" swap ?

The interior can wait a while, and I need to make up a fuel pump securing ring extraction tool before I tackle that job, so the next stage is to start transferring the engine and transmisssion components from one block to the other (remember this is an auto engine going into the glacier blue manual car)

Finally a couple of pictures - the rear inner arches on this shell have no corrosion

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
She's back on the deck again, no suspension, front wings off, just the interior to do now, but before that the engine & box are ready to install in the Glacier Blue car

Looking a bit bare, moveable on dollys

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 June 2019, 12:04:00 PM »
Time for a little update.

The interior is being stripped and the dash is out. There's an awful lot of wire :)

When the instructions say remove the strap for the passenger airbag, what they mean is the strap that goes over the crash bar and is bolted to it at the forwards side, only visible once you lie on your back and crawl under where the glovebox was.

Next challenge is removing the heater / air distribution unit

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2019, 06:24:22 PM »
I've never been in that far in the Saab.  I was about to do something like that in the Renault Espace when the relays fell out at the back.  In the end the local garage offered to do the job cheaply as long as wew weren't in too much hurry and we were happy for the apprentice to do it!! :o  It ended up as an affordable job.  Renault quoted a time of 14 hours to do it...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2019, 08:10:07 PM »
If 14 hours was the book time, then you can be sure it took longer than that.

I have been impressed by a couple of things today:

1. How tidy and well fixed the loom has been, mind you those Saab engineers have had fun designing loads of types of electrical connection security methods, I ended up unbolting the handbrake switch as I couldn't figure out how to remove the wire connection.
2. The reinforcement bar. It is very similar to a roll cage design, with good diameter and it is not only fixed at the sides, but anchored to the pedal box and the floor down through the centre console. Very robust.  :)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2019, 10:33:03 PM »
I'm full of admiration, truly, but where are you putting all the bits? And my OH would be asking why, what's the point?

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2019, 10:41:26 PM »
I'm fortunate that I have the space to store stuff........ and if you look at my signature there are a few possible destinations.

On the other hand, I'm learning stuff all the time, and if there are bits soeone else needs then I may be able to help out. Today I found out where the airbag activation sensor module is located, not that I had ever considered it.

Those fan control modules fail as do many of the stepper motors, though of course putting them in a running car can be more challenging  :)

My OH knows this is relaxation for me - fortunate there too  ;D

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 June 2019, 02:39:03 PM »
 8)

I don't have the undercover space nor matrimonial support, sadly.
In years gone by I wanted to do a kitcar build, having plenty of experience with the oily bits on my 1967 Mini. First a Lomax (Citroen 2CV based) was in my sights then I wanted to build a Westfield but in both cases family responsibilities, work and acute lethargy meant neither got past the pipedream stage.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 June 2019, 04:59:29 PM »
Bit by bit she's coming apart. Significant progress today as I have got the air distribution unit and the auto shifter out.

I don't want to tell you how long I spent attempting to remove the cable for the auto shifter. Long story short, there is a circlip which retains a pin with the ball on the end of it. It was only when I looked with a magnifying glass did I see that there was a circlip. Once that was removed it came off easily, and then after referring to WIS again I actually saw the instruction and illustration that I am sure were not there before  :'(

The interior is pretty much removed now including

Seats
Carpets
Door seals
Ventilation system
TWICE module
Auto selector cable
Centre console

Just the rear seat backs and rear carpets to go now, and then I'll make an assessment whether to remove the loom or leave it in the car. so far no looms have been harmed in the disassembly of this Saab.

In this picture you can see the complete air distribution unit, with the fan speed controller visible just under the clear plastic screen

and a bare front compartment, except for a big loom