Author Topic: What car would you have if it wasn't a Saab?  (Read 29106 times)

DRM

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Re: What car would you have if it wasn't a Saab?
« Reply #45 on: 15 July 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
My Saab is my fun car.

The practical family car at the moment is an Audi Allroad, which is a nice drive indeed.  However, at seven years old it is not standing the test of time in the way my V70 did in the UK and therefore I am not sure I would look at another Audi.  Pay hugely up front but the quality does not seem to be all it appears in the cabin.  We have also had problems with the air suspension (fixed myself thanks to superior replacement parts from the USA) and the cooling system since purchasing it just over six weeks ago.

I have also had a BMW in the past and was underwhelmed.

Therefore, given my requirement being similar to somebody else above, I would have to say the Volvo XC70 would be first choice, followed by the Skoda Ocatvia Scout.  If I had to replace the convertible with a non-Saab I would in all likelihood look towards a Jaguar of some sort.

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 15 July 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
(BTW, CT - Citroen are offering 24 hour test drives of the new DS4. Signed up yesterday - contact awaited. They describe it as a "high stance coupe...  ::))

Puh-sonally, I prefer to fly at a lower altitude. The only reason for having a tall car is if it can carry more stuff or people in the same footprint. PseudoSUVs don't appeal (particularly that weird Beemer that looks like a hippo on stilts).

We got a Citroen C3 which is a smidge taller than other makes' parallel offerings, because it has such versatile load carrying, and subjectively feels roomier even than some physically bigger cars (including the C4!)
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 15 July 2011, 05:38:50 PM »
CitTone - me too on the tall motors, but I'm willing to see what it looks like in the metal before judging. Difficult to tell from photos, unlike the BM etc. And having it for a day, well, I'd be daft not to.

Just collected some stone pillar caps for new garden wall. The lads at the builders merchant couldn't believe how big the 9-5 boot is. One said you'd need satnav to find your way out of it.

tog

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 16 July 2011, 12:13:03 AM »
I sold my 9-5 (which came after a 9000) to get a Tatra 613, which turned out to be a bit of a mistake for a daily driver.  That was replaced quite quickly by a Bitter SC, which was ace in every way and very practical, did 30,000 miles in that car. 

Very rare cars - don't think I've seen either in the flesh - any pics?

Welcome to STT by the way :)

Here you go.  I'll dig out a shot of the 613 engine bay, if I can.  Quad cam, hemi heads, all alloy, air-cooled V8.  In the back.  When I said it was a mistake as a daily driver, I don't mean it was a bad car.  It was a great car, but mine was a bit scruffy, and getting parts for a car that 90% of people haven't heard of (and the other 10% think you meant Tata) was bit tricky.

The Bitter was a wonderful car and I regret selling it now.  Mine was the only RHD 3.9 manual made, of about 20 RHD in all.  The 3.0 became the 3.9 by stroking, not boring, so it was a really torquey motor and great to drive, if a little soft in the twisties.

I was on Saabscene years ago, but haven't really been active much on the Saab fora since selling my 9-5.  Now looking for another 9k so I'm sure I'll be here more :)
« Last Edit: 16 July 2011, 12:16:56 AM by tog »

DRM

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 16 July 2011, 01:53:15 AM »
Last year I had £1500 for a large estate - either a 9-5 or a V70. At that price we're talking late 1990s. I had sold my classic 9-3 a couple of years before, but never driven a 9-5. In the end I went for the V70, as I reckoned at that vintage it'd be less trouble, plus you get a 5-cyl engine. £1200 later I got probably one of the best value cars I've ever had, glorious engine, solid build, easy to work on (not that I've had to) and I have to say I'm a bit of a convert. I'd say the 9-3 was more comfortable and rode the roads better but 3000+rpm on a 5cyl is very addictive...

I still pine for the 1997 V70 we left behind in the UK. Brought with low mileage, FSH and in beautiful condition in 2004.  Never gave us a moment's trouble, smooth, reliable, comfortable and quick.  I am not sure I will ever find another estate quite like it.  The current Audi does not come close.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 16 July 2011, 07:57:53 AM »

Those two make the new 9-5 seem common  ;D 8)

Think I was only aware of the Bitter from some old Top Trumps cards! The Tatra looks like a Talbot Alpine on steroids  ;D Bet it went a bit better than a Talbot Alpine on steroids though  ;D

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18 July 2011, 06:13:50 PM »
(BTW, CT - Citroen are offering 24 hour test drives of the new DS4. Signed up yesterday - contact awaited. They describe it as a "high stance coupe...  ::))

Just had a call from Citroen about the 24 hour loan of a DS4. "Not all dealers are participating... "  Not the one 7 miles away, anyway.
The nearest involves a 60 mile round trip to Southport and Mersey tunnel tolls. Thanks, but no thanks.
I was looking forward to seeing how it dealt with the Snake Pass on my trip to Sheffield on Friday.

faceplant

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 26 July 2011, 11:46:52 PM »
Audi RS4,

or any US old skool V8, the kind that make your insides move when you start the engine.  I'll be like grandpa in 'Lost Boys' just start it up once in while and listen to it growl.

James

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Linear
  • Number of thanks: 3
  • 1994 C900 Convertible
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 29 July 2011, 02:41:08 AM »
That Tatra looks lovely, although I take your point about the availability of spares.  I've had narrow escapes with a couple of 613s which, on investigation, each turned out to have a slightly dodgy past ...!  I'd still love a good one, though.

In the meantime, a la faceplant, I'm on the look out for an old skool V8 ...

faceplant

• Saabisti
    • View Profile