Author Topic: Another Xenons question  (Read 25358 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Another Xenons question
« Reply #15 on: 01 May 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
The law on xenons is they need a cleaning system which most saabs have and levelling. Which most cars have. Unless your cars headlights are bleeding light everywhere or dazzling or out of focus or out of alignment then mot inspectors won't fail them unless your cars old bill magnet. (chav mobile).

What self levelling do your lights have? Also the lights have to conform to an ECE directive which means they have to be type approved, which yours most certainly are not!

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2012, 12:03:40 PM »
My point is if your lights have the correct pattern and light flood then it probably won't even cross the examiners mind and certainly won't get you a pull by the police.  :'(

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
My point is if your lights have the correct pattern and light flood then it probably won't even cross the examiners mind and certainly won't get you a pull by the police.  :'(

The MOT testers have explicitly had a new item created on the test this year to check Xenon lights, it should cross their mind as it's now part of the test! If I was a copper I'd certainly pull people who had obvious aftermarket Xenons fitted and make them take part in the VRS at which point I'm pretty certain the tester will check your car properly.

Even so, your lights are not type approved, your car does not have self levelling and should fail and MOT if the tester is doing his job properly, hopefully this year we'll see less of these awful (and illegal!) aftermarket things fitted.

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2012, 12:53:12 PM »
You seem very bitter towards xenons? Awful? Not if properly fitted.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 May 2012, 01:04:50 PM »
You seem very bitter towards xenons? Awful? Not if properly fitted.

No, I really like Xenon lights. They are great when they are properly fitted which means developed and integrated by a responsible authority who understands lighting systems and tests them to make certain that they are safe, these people are companies similar to Vauxhall, BMW, Saab, Hella, Valeo etc. I'm afraid that these companies are in a somewhat different league to "Nige from down the pub" who got a set of aftermarket lamps off ebay that were designed and built in China to a mantra of making it as cheap as possible by people who have no background in building components and getting them type approved and released to market. There's a reason genuine parts cost more than something designed and built in China and flogged on ebay!

It makes me laugh that you suggest that the police will leave you alone if your car isn't a "chav mobile" or "old bill magnet" as the one thing that makes me think "old bill magnet" or "chav mobile" is a car with aftermarket xenons fitted, especially something like an old Saab 9-3!  ::)

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 May 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
So a 2000 sabb9-3 vert is a chav mobile?  ::)Who's talking rubbish now?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
So a 2000 sabb9-3 vert is a chav mobile?  ::)Who's talking rubbish now?

They're cheap and disposable cars now, they're under £1000 to buy and get chavved up by things like aftermarket Xenons....  ;D You can hardly say they are the cars of the rich and famous!

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2012, 01:26:21 PM »
And you obviously drive a Bugatti very on then? Your one nice bloke taking the piss out of other peoples cars ain't you!

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 May 2012, 01:27:22 PM »
Bugatti veyron even

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 May 2012, 01:39:17 PM »
Audax
SST paid up supporter
Talledega

Number of thanks: 62
[click to thank]

YOU MIGHT WANNA CHECK SOME SPELLING THERE!  TALLEDEGA? TALLADEGA

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 May 2012, 01:51:39 PM »
No, I don't drive a Veyron and probably never would even if I was a billionaire as I wouldn't find something like that very practical, If money was no object then I'd most likely have something comfortable with a reasonable load space and 4x4 capabilities, something like a Subaru Forester or a Volvo XC70. Currently I drive an old 2003 Saab 9-5 with just under 140k on the clock, I originally chose to drive Saab's because they're cheap! I'm under no illusion as to what my car is as to be honest it needs some money spent on it as the suspension is worn, it has a 2 small oil leaks one from the end of the sump and another from the crank seal main pulley, one of the wing mirrors is the wrong colour and the front brakes could do with replacement soon, it has stone chips over the front bonnet and a scratch on the side, the interior needs a good clean, the ACC panel has missing pixels, it has a very small coolant leak that needs topping up every 3 or 4 months and the headlamps are a bit cloudy, it certainly has seen better days but I'll only get rid when it really needs to go due to it needing something expensive like an engine or gearbox. Mechanically most of it is in good condition but cosmetically it's a bit tatty.

In all honesty I don't really care much for what car someone drives, pretty much all cars depreciate down to nothing and end up being driven by chavs before going to the scrap heap, I've known a fair few chavs who have owned Saabs as I have repaired them for them and sold them to them. I note that you're the one who felt it was acceptable to take the piss out of other peoples cars being chavmobiles and you drive an old 9-3 convertible! ::)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 May 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
YOU MIGHT WANNA CHECK SOME SPELLING THERE!  TALLEDEGA? TALLADEGA

I didn't put the spelling there, it comes up due to how many posts you've put on here, as you post more you get different levels which reflect various Saab trim levels and badges. I'll see if I can fix it no need to shout!

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2012, 02:25:14 PM »
Well done squire you've pretty much summed up the whole discussion there including having a pop at my car for being worthless then pretty much saying your car is worth even less. I will say no more. 
But I'm sure you'll be along in a minute.  :-X

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 May 2012, 02:36:06 PM »
Guys - Cool it down. You'll both glow in the dark soon!!!! :-[

The thing is that the MOT test is changing and the tester will now check to ensure the car has EU approved lamps and ballasts, that they have a suitable cleaning system and are automatically self leveling.

I know you can get superb quality aftermarket systems with genuine Phillips parts (not back alley stuff as implied) - I had them fitted to my first 9-5 and must admit the beam was spot on and no different to halogen beam except much brighter and clearer. I also made sure I only had the 4300k capsules which give out the optimum light. There was a clear crisp beam but the genuine ones like on my 2005 9-5 have a shutter which gives a distinctive cut off. My car did have one big advantage over yours and that was self leveling suspension so lights were always correct even when laden. Mine went through MOT's with no problem and my local traffic cop was happy.

Trouble is the new test checks for all three items, EU conformity, self auto leveling (the expensive replacement part on the 9-5), and washing system (could be wrong but I think it has to be hi pressure jets as wipers can scratch glass and affect lamp reflection), and from what I know your 9-3 has none of these. The dead give away would be seeing the separate ballasts unless hidden away somewhere dry.

My suggestion is try it through MOT. If it passes then fine but if it fails then you have wasted some money - sorry but I agree these are fantastic lights and I know I wouldn't be without them. In my opinion no halogen equivalent no matter how good 120% plus things can ever match a Xenon system and I've had both in same cars from 1999 9-5 SE to my 2005 Vector Sport. I have only had one sort of fail by going slightly pinkish but I was able to get genuine Osram for £58 the pair.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 May 2012, 02:41:16 PM »
Oh BTW my car is now over 6 years old and appears to still have original Xenons. Car has done 128k and I drive with lights on all the time. My wifes Volvo V50 has lights on all the time and I have replaced those halogen lamps about 3 times now.