Author Topic: What's in a name.  (Read 21484 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Re: What's in a name.
« Reply #45 on: 09 August 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
I remember the Renault Alpine - the A110. Always thought it looked a little like a poor mans Dino!

A friend had a 5 Gordini turbo - went like stink but scary as hell to drive.................. saw a standard Renault 5 last week with 5 people on board!!!!! It looked like it was dragging its bumper on the road............

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 August 2012, 10:11:03 PM »
Ah yes the BX GTi 16v. Pretty quick car (or so I thought at the time) but with horrible body roll when taking the moor road back home and steering so heavily assisted that it felt like the front wheels weren't connected.

Must have just been yours, then. Mine was stiff as a board in all planes, and the steering was no more assisted than most other things I was driving back then. And it was quick enough for me at the time - plus it would carry loads of stuff.....though that did tend to slow it down a bit...
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

Richard_C

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 15 August 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
Ah - the Renault Gordini/Alpine naming complexities.  I had the R5 Gordini, non turbo with a funny inclined pushrod arrangement to squeeze 93 bhp out of an 8v crossflow head.  Sort of mini XR3 competitor.  Called an Alpine in France, but over here that name belonged to Sunbeam, by then owned by the PSA group.  Timing kept going out even though it was bought from new then the front brake discs developed hairline cracks just out of warranty.  Fun on a good day though.  Then got a BX, early diesel with the lego brick minor controls.  Most excellent, couldn't out accelerate anything off the line but long journey times were quicker than the Gordini on account of a range over 180 miles!  After 115k miles swapped it for a BX DTR, very quick in the mid range.

Anyway, back to names.  Citroen had a weird mix - letters like BX, GSA, XM, then all of a sudden names like Saxo Xantia and Visa (Visa, the only small car accepted at olympic venues .....).  I've got a Synergie, which is called an Evasion in France being a sort of trip out, unlike a nasty tax fraud over here.  Now its all a letter/numbers thing, in size order.  They have sadly just dropped the C-Crosser, which sounded like a grumpy Citroen version of the Mitsubishi Outlander.  C-Crosser, the car for angry mororists.

So, to other things.

Lancia Y10 - makes me think of chicken.  (White hen)
That little Fiat, the one you would point at and say "That's a Fiat, you know"
The Talbot Samba, just invites people to sit on the roof bashing it with a drumstick and blowing a whistle.
And I have am imaginary vision of  the Japanese marketing director of Colt yelling down the phone at his European PR man "I said STARION, you fool, rike the horse, not Starion"
And if Audi must use paper sizes, why is it that the more you spend the smaller the piece of paper is?  Had Rover followed suit, we could have had the Rover Foolscap (no "r" in that please) or its little brother the Rover Letter.  Perhaps Rover Estates named after envelope sizes?

But the ultimate naming triumph must rest with good old British Leyland:  they replaced the 1800 land crab and  launched the "Austin Morris 18-22 Series".  You could go into your dealer and ask for an "Austin 18-22 Series 1800 please ...." if you could remember all that.  I think it lasted a few weeks then even BL marketing gave up and called it the Austin Princess.  My Dad had one of those - not at all bad.

And another thing now that summer is here, why do I keep getting stuck behind caravans that say "Swift" on the back - they are anything but.   Do you think Trading Standards would intervene and insist on renaming them "Sloth" or "Trundle"?

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 16 August 2012, 11:22:42 AM »
What a nice cheerful start to the day - I love the one about the Talbot Samba as we had one of those on hire on our honeymoon some 30 years ago!

Its a shame though the Hillman Avenger never did! The Hillman Hunter sometimes did though! Sadly the Singer Gazelle wasn't All down to the Rootes Group

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 16 August 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
Back on Austin/Morris/etc, I never did fathom why the Wolseley and Riley branded Minis were respectively Hornet and Elf. There was no sting in a Hornet, and the Riley was rarely elfy.

Ah, the best of British bodge engineering!

Sorry, badge.

No - right the first time!

By the way, did anyone else suffer from a tendency to snigger incomprehensibly when looking at cast underbonnet components of BMC products with the word "MOWOG" emblazoned across them?
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #50 on: 16 August 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
It goes back before the days of the Austin/Morris Merger.  Morris took over Wolseley and the foundry was set up as part of the Morris-Wolseley Garages.  Hence MoWoG.  The foundry somehow kept the mark on all the stuff they produced after the various mergers.

Anything that was produced in the old Austin factory in Birmingham still used the "Flying A" symbol as a mark instead.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 16 August 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
Its a shame though the Hillman Avenger never did!

I learnt to drive in my father's Avenger, and my first car was a 1600GL Avenger with the twin round headlamps and L shaped rear lights! But as (I think) you are saying, it was a misnomer. Hardly a caped crusader car.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #52 on: 16 August 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
I still remember being surprised when I saw a small Nissan van in France.  I don't think it was imported to the UK.

It was called the "Nissan Pantry Boy Supreme"  :o
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.