Author Topic: 2017 Winter Tyres thread  (Read 22717 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Winter Tyres thread
« Reply #15 on: 23 October 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
BlackCircles do Michellin CrossClimate 235s - less money too - £119.69 fully fitted.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2017, 11:56:15 AM »
There are plenty of 235/45 17 winter tyres on mytyres.  You will probably have to drop to a V speed rating, but also XL.  Don't forget that an H rated tyre is good for 130 mph.

Cross Climates are here. https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=67964393.110.64424&Breite=235&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=W&kategorie=6&Marke=Michelin&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=PKW&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Michelin&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&search_tool=standard&Label=C-B-69-1&details=Ordern&typ=R-339112
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 October 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
BlackCircles do Michellin CrossClimate 235s - less money too - £119.69 fully fitted.

with an extra 40GBP off if you buy a full set of Michelin https://www.blackcircles.com/offers

W

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 October 2017, 12:46:25 PM »
I've ordered four from black circles with the discount (plus another 2% from Quidco). Getting fitted on Wednesday.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 October 2017, 02:56:58 PM »
I wanted Michelin Cross climates for my 9-3 Aero but my wheels are 18" with 225/45 x 18 on them and Cross Climates were an extortionate amount; it was nearly as cheap to buy some 17" alloys and get 225/45 x 17 on them. I like them as we have them on wifes Golf and they've been on there now 2.5 years and still have around 4.5mm tread left after 35k miles. I have driven it in snow and they do work well.

I opted for a winter tyre all year round and went for the Nokian WR D4 which has really good reviews. They've been on since April and cost £129 each and have now covered around 6k miles and still have 7.5mm tread on them. I have found them excellent being quiet and excellent in the wet - they have A rating for the wet; can't wait actually for some snow but today it's 18 deg!!!!

Having said all this after having the car for nigh on 2 years I am now pumping up the mileage with my new job and she's now covered 133k; looking at getting a Nissan X Trail Tecna as I go all over the country and visit some remote large houses. I also need some extra space for kit I carry around etc. So she'll probs be up for sale end Nov :(

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 October 2017, 04:11:05 PM »
Got my CrossClimates on:

Car needs a clean!

Paid £439 fitted (for 4) which I thought was alright for these.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 October 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
Excellent - wish I could have got them for that price

GeoffW

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Sadly now Saabless, what next?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 October 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
CrossClimate 225/45 R17 just fitted onto my '02 Aero. They replace the CrossClimates I had fitted 2 years ago, did around 30,000 on them.

I used to be doing getting on for 1000 miles a week but retirement last year means that's come down quite a lot. I expect this tyre set will see the car out but hopefully its got quite a few miles left in it. It still drives well and has plenty of oomph available when I want it.

Geoff

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
Retirement - I wish. Some 6 years yet but new job means miles adding up.

When I last looked it was about £180 a tyre plus fitting for 225/45 x 18's................ around 700 quid plus fitting for the 4 which is why it would have been cheaper for new 17" wheels and Cross climates!!!!!

Must admit I am very happy with these Nokian WR D4's. Stable even on warm days and very quiet and comfortable. Fuel economy doesn't seem to have suffered.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #24 on: 16 November 2017, 10:41:30 PM »
Hello all

I've just read this thread with great interest; I've been running a set of Dunlop winter tyres on mine for the past few years and I'm astonished that they haven't worn out yet.
I chose the Dunlops having watched a video demo of some cars attempting to drive up a ski slope on a variety of tyres and the Dunlops Winters got the top score as I recall.
I have also heard that the compound in winter tyres only lasts for a couple of seasons or so and that it's advisable to change them when they get old, so this summer I left them on in an attempt to kill them off.
They still aren't worn out! But the fronts are starting to look quite scrubbed, so I'm now thinking of changing them soonish.

Wonder-Woman's Meriva is running some Goodyear Vector Four Seasons (Ithink these are only "Mud and Snow" which have been okayish (although the car itself isn't), and I'm considering going down the same/similar route if only to sell off my second set of wheels to free up some space in my garage now that I have two classic MG's squeezed into it.  ::)

I have heard it said that a 'four-season' tyre is actually a winter tyre but how true that might be I really don't know; I thought it was a mud and snow tyre.

It remains a dilemma.

« Last Edit: 16 November 2017, 10:43:10 PM by Max Headroom »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #25 on: 17 November 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
A winter/cold weather tyre will have the “mountain & snowflake” symbol on the sidewalk.

The M&S rating is no guarantee of anything other than an open tread pattern.  To get an M&S label, all the tyre tread needs is for the rubber in contact with the ground to be less than 70%. So the gaps betwen the tread blocks will be more than 30% of the tread pattern.  The quality of the rubber is not considered.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 November 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
I have heard it said that a 'four-season' tyre is actually a winter tyre but how true that might be I really don't know; I thought it was a mud and snow tyre.

The Goodyear website says that gen2 of that tyre is a winter tyre and has the mountain/snowflake symbol so it is a proper winter tyre. No idea if Gen1 of that tyre was or not. They claim better stopping performance than other tyres in this market segment but then again if they don't last it may be a false economy. Personally I can't find anything bad about the Michelin Crossclimate (and they seem to be lasting very well indeed) although I've not had a chance to ever use them in snow but if our winter weather stays the same then maybe I never will get that chance.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #27 on: 21 November 2017, 11:51:14 AM »

A big thank you for answering that one.

I once had a very bad experience with Michelins; admittedly it was years ago (early 80s - nevertheless mud sticks ('scuse the pun  ::))) and I have never bought or trusted a car fitted with Michelin tyres since.

Maybe I should reconsider that now.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 November 2017, 08:12:18 PM »
If I didn't buy tyres from any brand where there had been a problem that I've seen with a particular tyre of there's I would have to walk everywhere or use Chinese brands I'd never heard of.  ;D

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #29 on: 23 November 2017, 08:27:04 AM »
If I didn't buy tyres from any brand where there had been a problem that I've seen with a particular tyre of there's I would have to walk everywhere or use Chinese brands I'd never heard of.  ;D

Hell! That must be a lot of tyres you've got through!  :o 8)