Author Topic: Moving on  (Read 3067 times)

StanleyB

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
Moving on
« on: 13 December 2018, 01:11:53 AM »
After 20 years of owning a SAAB, I finally had to bite the bullet and share a car with the wife. It all came about after someone cut in front of me, causing some damage to the front of that car. The insurance company was offered me less to fix the car than it actually cost. I did't get the most out of the SAAB these days now that the school run has finished. And with the slow traffic in London compared to 10 years ago, I hardly ever see the speedo go about 50. So I put it up for sale via my garage. Given the extras that I have had fitted to an already fully loaded 9-3, inquiries have come from as far as the continent. But one guy just wants the running gear, which he wants to fit inside a Viggen...

It's uni run a couple of times a year though. So I got myself a Hyundai IX20, which has a boot size large enough to carry my son's stuff to and from uni whenever that needs to be done. At the same time the IX20 is small enough to dive in and out of the London traffic. I got the 1.6 auto petrol after having driven the 1.4 auto petrol I20 that my wife has (and which will go on sale soon since we don't need 2 cars). The 1.4 is far too slow on take off for me. The six speed 1.6 auto is a lot better. Mind you, at a quoted 11.5sec from 0 to 60, that's about twice the time it took me to do the same 0 to 60 dash in the 9-3. I'll miss that adrenaline rush. Mind you, if I win the lottery.....

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Moving on
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
Good luck! :)

My son and daughter-in-law drive a Hyundai.  They bought it at three months old and have had it for eight years.  it's been 100% reliable.  They chose it as a cheap commuter, but big enough for our grandson's guitars and stuff.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

StanleyB

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2019, 10:09:15 AM »
My 9-3 has finally been sold, and it appears to have gone to someone who is into cars. He has 14 of various types already. He called me to ask what engine is in it since it was far faster than any 9-3 he has ever tried.
The imminent arrival of ULEZ in London helped me to make up my mind to sell the 9-3 instead of fixing it. Sometimes I wish that I lived in the country side.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2019, 11:43:41 AM »
Good luck! :)

I'm just outside the ULEZ and stuff - for the time being.  And my car is Euro4 as well.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2019, 11:54:27 AM »
I had a shock yesterday while visiting our local recycling place. Just pulling away in our Nissan X Trail and suddenly a grey Saab 9-3 Aero came into view and parked right next to me - my old car sold 16th Dec 2018. Was absolutely filthy!!!

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2019, 05:21:06 PM »
When I sold my 9-5 in August 2014 it only had 125,000 on the clock and the MOT ran to January 2015. It didn't get renewed or SORNed.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
Apparently my old written off one (LG08LWC) is in or around Wymondham, but I've not seen it.  New MOT in Sept '18, Insured, but no tax.

The one I bought in September that was so shiny, is now 1/2" thick in mud from our roads around here.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
Yeh - the roads are a bit dirty. My X Trail is now 2 tone!