Author Topic: Graphite Green 9-5 Aero rescue  (Read 51231 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Graphite Green 9-5 Aero rescue
« Reply #105 on: 16 April 2020, 01:40:22 PM »
After getting washed last night, another little job crossed off.

The drivers window glass was errant in its movements and needed a helping hand to seat correctly.

Door card off, a bit of cleaning, reseating the rear runner onto the frame and putting the rubber guide that always fall into the bottom of the door back into place.

I'm now happy that I can ventilate the car in warmer weather.  :thumbsup:

While messing around in Tech 2 yesterday I noticed that the aircon pressure was 3 bar. I'll have to take a look at what that should be, perhaps a bit of gas and that might even work ?
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 17 April 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
Another day, another job.

Hooked tech 2 up and went through the diagnostics for a/c not working and a/c cooling poor.

Everything seems to check out fine, the evaporator temperature does drop when a/c is on, but just to ambient, or 16 degrees as that was ambient.

When the compressor is on, pressure reading went up to about 6-7 bar, compressor off drops to about 4 bar.

A quick search led me to this https://nissens.com/Admin/Public/Download.aspx?file=Files%2FFiles%2FAuto%2FPosters%2FNissens_AC_System_Diagnostics_Poster_98x68+-+Operating+Pressures+R134A+-+ENG.pdf

So, as suspected, I seem to be in the classic low refrigerant scenario (scenario 5)

I was thinking of just taking it somewhere, but from a recent post I read I believe there is a DIY approach. Is this effective and how do I "measure" the quantity in the system.

I suspect that it's just the usual gradual loss then it'll be fine, but if it's just going to leak out again I may as well find out the cheaper way. Any other suggestions ??

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 17 April 2020, 02:50:20 PM »
Mine has never blown overly cold so I've assumed it probably needs a top up but never got round to it.
From the posts I've read it seems like it's cheaper to get it done professionally than buying a gauge and canister to DIY. Also a service centre will flush the old refrigerant before recharging the system..

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 19 April 2020, 02:55:32 PM »
As I have a "few" to do, I'm going to see if I can get a deal, standard charge is about £40 I think

Part one of todays activities, a siren repair.

This took a lot longer than it needed to as I didn't have any solder sucker with me, but, eventually, the old batteries came off.

There's a guy on ebay selling the proper battery & cap kits for £33. He also has a website where a pair of batteries were £18. His website is not working correctly, as clicking on menus tends to result in an offer to download a compressed data archive. Not good. When I did get the order through, I got an email 10 minutes later refunding me as the price was in error. Well, I will not be buying from him at all, so found another seller with compatible batteries (and not the CR17335SE type of equivalence)

I bought a kit as a trial, here's the board ready to put back in the housing.

My comparisons tell me that when the batteries are below 3.1v you get the "Service Theft Alarm" message on SID, so as I have a few of these to do I'm going to replace batteries only. It's a shame you cannot read the battery voltage through the three pin connection. Speaking of which it has a battery live, earth and TWICE connection. I'm assuming that in case of a trigger of the anti theft detection systems in TWICE, a message is sent to pin 2 of the siren which will instruct it to sound. Is it reasonable that at switch on a different message is sent which instructs the siren module to provide some sort of feedback on the condition of the batteries, or maybe even continuously ?

I can't see much point for an 18 pin chip otherwise.

Anyway, here's the repaired board. I have drilled the holes in the back cover so that it can be screwed together like the early designs, and have used seam sealer /  PU adhesive to seal any remaining gaps in the plastic from the elements

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 19 April 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
Some of these gremlins are well buried  ::)

Next on the list was the intermittent wipe.

I removed the stalk and the rheostat is giving the correct values, 5, 500 and 1000 ohms. Not what I was expecting to find.

It's fortunate that I have another car to compare to, so next I put Tech 2 on it and two very strange things.

A, First of all DICE is permanently seeing 1000 ohms (it says wiper interval is 15 seconds, so maybe that is just default)
B,.Secondly, when I try to activate the front wiper through Tech 2 it doesn't work.

From reading WIS it seems that DICE is not providing a voltage to trigger the wiper relay, that would explain B, but then it would need another fault to explain why the wiper interval is 15 seconds. Maybe if resistance is over ~ 700 ohms it defaults to the 15 second value and an open circuit would do that.

So it's either two wiring issues of a faulty DICE on just the intermittent wipe.  Does that make sense, do DICE modules fail frequently. I have just seen that the module is above the main relay board

To confuse matters further if I move the intermittent delay switch upwards (longer delay) I get one wipe, downwards I get none. That doesn't happen on a normal car.

Stalks have been swapped, relays swapped , just to be sure, behaviour remains the same

Any suggestions ?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #110 on: 19 April 2020, 09:51:17 PM »
I had a look at the wiring diagram and there's only the switch, the relay, and DICE involved.

There are links to the washer pump, do you get any spray? 

Seems that DICE is the likely culprit, unless there are some bad connections.  There are the two big connectors under the LH A-pillar involved and some crimps.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 19 April 2020, 10:15:17 PM »
Thanks for that, the description and wiring diagram took a bit of thinking about to understand it properly.

Those connectors by the A pillars are monster things, I remember from breaking the saloon, I doubt they ever go wrong.

Wipers work fine, no daft computers involved, just volts  :)

The washers work fine too, he says, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed that they only seemed to squirt for a second. Tried them recently and they seemed ok.

I have been pondering further..... Do you remember the 12v sockets were not working, a wire had been tapped into another fuse. I wonder if there has been a little fire, not only damaging the 12v sockets, but also the intermittent wiper connections to DICE....... and the washers as well.

Worth a look  :thumbsup:

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #112 on: 19 April 2020, 10:42:22 PM »
I had the manual intermittent wipers on my first 1998 9-5.  The two later cars both came with rain sensors in the windscreen.  Neither of which worked after a windscreen replacement. :(  I tried to fix it, but when I left the screen sensor unconnected, the wipers would only work on slow speed. I couldn't work out quite why, as there wasn't any obvious reason why an "add-on" would affect the basic functions.

I don't know if the "manual" intermittent has some similar strange linking.  A small fire might explain a lot!!

As an aside, and I'm thinking back to 2002, when I was still able to walk and talk at the same time, I seem to remember that there was a trick that could be done on the wiper delay.  You needed to change the relay for one from another make. Ford or VW come to mind.  These cars had a variable delay which was set by holding the wiper "one touch" down and holding it down for X seconds.  Then the wipers would wipe every X seconds until you flicked it again to turn it off.  We had it on a Ford Galaxy that my wife bought.

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 19 April 2020, 10:46:30 PM »
Oh, DICE is an absolute **** try disconnecting it for 10 minutes and manually bridging everything and then adding it back. It will probably all start working.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 19 April 2020, 11:30:45 PM »
Thanks both

Is that a module remove / add process with Tech 2 then - more new territory, or just unplugging it.

What do you mean by "manually bridging", as DICE has the timer circuit I don't think I can test the intermittent function ???

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 20 April 2020, 09:37:02 PM »
Diversion onto more important things today.

When the car passed it MOT I wanted to simply run it for a few miles and let things settle down, see what else needed doing.

Apart from the electrical gremlins the mechanical side has been pretty faultless and i have done about 3,000 miles, so

Time for a service.   :D

I bought a couple of kits from Bill as the grey one is due as well. The oil that came out was a bit dark and a bit thick Plugs looked good, but I have fitted the new ones anyway as I don't have / can't find any service history. Sump is unbolted and as I have the O rings in stock will be dropped for cleaning tomorrow

I also have the cam cover seals in stock, so that'll be on the job list as well, time to get rid of those black oily marks.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 20 April 2020, 10:55:26 PM »
Physically unplug from car and then plug it back in again. No need to use tech 2. I'm kind of surprised you get lots of electrical problems, generally they are very good and its wiring problems rather than electrical modules, but I guess the cars are that much older now that modules will start to fail maybe.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 20 April 2020, 11:03:17 PM »
Thanks Audax  :thumbsup:

My cosmic blue car never had any of these type of problems with more than 2 1/2 times the miles. Lots of things were not working on this car, silly things, sunroof (unplugged, why), reversing sensors (unplugged instead of replacing faulty sensors), satnav (aerial perished). Whoever worked on it didn't like electrons, or the previous owners just wouldn't pay.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 21 April 2020, 08:56:22 AM »
Hmmn, it sounds like you have the problem there of people tinkering and not actually repairing anything, never a good place to start from.

I once had a (very cheap) 9000 which had a lot of modifications to the ACC system, several aftermarket switches had been fitted which when engaged would force the fan to full speed, turn off the air con compressor and weird combinations of the above and other side effects. Eventually I called the previous owner to ask him what they did as it was driving me nuts trying to work out how the system worked. Turns out he had fitted the switches as he hadn't read the vehicle handbook properly and wanted a way to force the interior fan to high speed, he had failed to understand that you needed to hold down the fan button to adjust speed, he just thought it was a 3 speed system! As soon as I reverted his changes it all worked properly.  :-\

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 21 April 2020, 04:41:08 PM »
I had a feeling that someone had been here before as some of the sump bolts were not as tight as I would have expected. Then again when you look perhaps that isn't the case.

What are those plastic strands ?

Yuk !