Author Topic: Water in passenger footwell - first time ever!!!  (Read 295 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Water in passenger footwell - first time ever!!!
« on: 15 April 2024, 12:29:54 PM »
It was raining when I drove to work this morning, but nothing out of the ordinary - fairly usual drive to work, with the heating and fan on as it was little nippy. Umbrella was on the front passenger floor, but I hadn't used it for a couple of weeks. I leaned over to pick it up as I was contemplating using it to go from the car park to the office, and as a I moved it, the mat immediately under where it had been was freshly wet. I noticed also another freshly wet bit forward of this but under the side edge of the centre console.

First thought was rain water getting into the fan via the cabin filter housing, but as it appeared to be from the centre console side, I wondered if it was something else in that area. The water did not smell of anything.

Any thoughts on what I need to check for, esteemed fellow Saabers? ;)
« Last Edit: 15 April 2024, 12:47:01 PM by Steve McF »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Water in passenger footwell - first time ever!!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2024, 02:40:14 PM »
I would still check the area under the windscreen wipers and make sure that the drain is clear.  It's the most likely cause.

if it's not that, then you could start looking at windscreen leaks & door seal leaks.  Your car doesn't have a sunroof, does it?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2024, 03:18:05 PM »
Thanks Will, no sunroof, and it's never been wet in the 6 years I've had the car, so was surprised to see this.

It rained quite a bit after I got out of the car, so worried to see what I'll find when I get back later.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2024, 04:03:20 PM »
I would dry it out and then use tissue paper to try to identify the source of the water, allowing for wicking.

Did you check that the door window was all the way up, and in the correct place?

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2024, 07:21:18 PM »
Well the source of the leak seemed to be the side of the centre console. The side nearest the door was dry.

So this evening I got the scuttle panel off to find no drain block, and a completely dry and unstained cabin filter. What I did however find was that the cabin filter housing seal to the body has completely disintegrated/dried out/gone crusty. You can move the cabin filter housing forward and backward and create a gap across the top.

I have seen Cyclone Sid's Youtube video on cleaning all this up and using fresh sealant to stick the housing back onto the body, so I think that is the next job to do, if it will ever stop raining for 10 minutes!!!

In the mean time, I did a temporary botch to see if I can at least stop the leak for now....

See pics below 👍😉

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2024, 07:23:13 PM »
In the next two pics you can see the perished seal as I pull the housing away from the body, and then my temporary duck tape 'solution'.....I hope!!!
« Last Edit: 15 April 2024, 09:26:45 PM by Steve McF »

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2024, 08:55:18 PM »
Sounds like good news. Almost reminiscent of a 1970's air cooled VW, except much easier to fix  :thumbsup:
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2024, 08:13:04 AM »
Yes, that's one of the most common causes of a damp footwell. Easily fixed with some new EPDM foam tape.

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2024, 07:06:30 PM »
Once there is water in the footwell,the next two things likely to fail are the fan control module(ACC only) and motor..

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2024, 08:51:14 AM »
The good news seems to be the floor and mat has dried out, so hopefully my temporary duck tape solution will keep it dry for now ;)

I am getting another pollen filter housing as the clips on mine are a bit knackered, so will hopefully get on and fit the replacement when I can, with a new seal etc ;)