Author Topic: Changing the Key Battery and Synchronising the key  (Read 81608 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Changing the Key Battery and Synchronising the key
« on: 23 January 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
Sometimes when the CR2032 battery in the 9-3 Sports Saloon is changed, the key buttons don't seem to work the remote locking.  This is probably due to the key losing synchronisation.

To synchronise the ignition key in this car, it needs to be placed in the ignition key hole.  You should hear the steering lock operate.  The key should now be synchronised and the remote locking should work again.

If you are locked out of the car you need to get in to do this.  Best option is to unlock the doors using the second key.

If you only have one key...

Press the Saab logo on the key and pull out the metal traditional key.
Unlock the left hand front door (passenger side in UK).
THE ALARM WILL SOUND.
Get in and put the key in the ignition switch as normal.  The alarm should stop.
The key should now be synchronised and you can use it normally.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the Key Battery and Synchronising the key
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
It's also worth pointing out that if you have a right hand drive 9-3 you do not want to park with the passenger side up against a wall or other object that stops you getting in if the key doesn't work, stupid corner cutting that one.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2012, 04:19:42 PM »
Good point!  I know someone who crawled through a hedge to open the passenger door and then couldn't open the door enough!  He sent his wife in to do the job.  Not popular!! :o
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

chris_de_ze

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Founding member of saabforum.gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2012, 07:18:01 AM »
The immobilizer unit (transponder) inside the remote does not need the battery to function. The battery is necessary only for the operation of the 4 buttons (lock/unlock, lid, panic).

djbutler

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2012, 11:50:39 AM »
When I collected my car from the dealer I was told that one key was no good, it would start the car but the lock/unlocking did not work and they had tried a new battery. Never did believe anything a dealer said so decided to investigate, battery was new but in the wrong way round, corrected it, put it in the ignition then started the car. Switched off got out, locked the car with the remote and never had a problem since. Don't you love dealers, the only positive and negative they understand is on the profit and loss account.

Skiddins

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
Does anyone know how much a second spare 'key' is, and can it be programmed so you have a permanent spare?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2013, 07:55:27 PM »
From Saab, about £70 to £100, depending on how many people you phone.  It will be identical to the original key.

The Saab Service Centre  or parts supplier will need to know the VIN number of your car so that the right blade can be cut and suppled from Sweden.  Allow a week.

Guyver1

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2013, 10:27:25 PM »
Remotes are available for around £5 on amazon, not genuine Saab but seem to work. Good value if you need a quick replacement.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2013, 10:50:11 PM »
Remotes are available for around £5 on amazon, not genuine Saab but seem to work. Good value if you need a quick replacement.

Really? Where are they? I can see the casing for about a fiver but not a remote and how do you program them?

Guyver1

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2013, 05:09:07 PM »

Really? Where are they? I can see the casing for about a fiver but not a remote and how do you program them?

My mistake, I didn't read the ad properly  :-X

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2014, 12:20:28 AM »
I changed the casing last year for a plastic one from eBay.  It worked, but it didn't have real buttons.  The button positions were marked, but pressing them just flexed the case.  It worked, but the pressing was very hard for my arthritic thumbs! :(  And the the painted marks wore off quickly.  Also the metal key was an interference fit in the slot at the back.

Yesterday I took delivery of a different fob shell which cost the same.  It has actual buttons and also the slot for the metal key has the same button catch as the original.  It's pleasant to use.  I can't speak for the durability, but the first impressions are good.  You can even prise off the Saab logo from the original key and stick it on the replacement.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400502346604

Some photos.  The head of the metal key looks small because the soft rubber finish went sticky.  So I peeled it off…….

« Last Edit: 02 February 2014, 12:34:37 AM by sgould »

SK Saab 93

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
  • Saab 93 Vector Convertible 1.9TiD / 150BHP / 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2014, 07:50:40 AM »
Another big thanks to these forums, I replaced my battery on the fob and when tried to open the car, no luck. I thought I had perhaps touched some of the circuit board and broken my fob. Great thats another £99 for a new fob!!! That is until I read this post, keys works fine now, just needed to follow instructions as in this thread. Sharing knowledge is king!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 October 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
Well done! :)

tpb1961

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2015, 01:05:17 AM »
This is very helpful, but what happens if the alarm doesn't go off when putting the key in the ignition?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2015, 03:38:03 PM »
The alarm only goes off if you have to unlock the passenger door after locking the car with the remote.  If the car is already unlocked after you have changed the battery, you just have to put it in the ignition switch to synchronise it.