Author Topic: Creak/squeak over speed bumps  (Read 1671 times)

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
Creak/squeak over speed bumps
« on: 16 August 2022, 10:33:54 PM »
My 9-5 Aero estate has developed a slight but audible creak/squeak over speed bumps (over which I am always ultra slow and careful, not only to annoy the 4x4 drivers behind) and occasional road dips etc. It doesn't sound like one side or the other; no clunking or anything (more) sinister; nothing when turning; it's handling normally (I am wondering if the suspension feels a bit harder, but that could well be in my head); all the pressures are checked and normal (36f/35r). It went through the MOT with no relevant advisories in late May.

It had a lot of suspension work in 2016 in response to MOT issues then: new rear rose bushes, front subframe bushes, front anti roll bar drop link etc. I'm pretty sure they would have been poly bushes.

A bit of googling made me wonder whether this might be dry bushes, perhaps exacerbated by the current weather. I'm fretting since we're supposed to be off to France at the weekend, a loaded continental trip not being ideal when you're hearing suspension noises ...

Any thoughts very welcome.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Creak/squeak over speed bumps
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2022, 05:37:53 PM »
I would be looking at the anti-roll bar bushes.  The bar rotates far more in them when both wheels go up and down at the same time, than when one goes up and the other down when you corner.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2022, 09:43:14 PM »
Thanks Will. Something to keep an ear on but not urgent, or requiring frantic calls to a local garage before we set off on hol?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2022, 07:37:30 AM »
Our Carlsson has travelled for months with a squeak from the front. I keep meaning to do something about it.  We got a new squeak from the rear  this week while travelling through France which I traced to the lift up floor rubbing on the top of the spare wheel!  It only happens when the temperature is very hot.  Should be OK today - it's very foggy this morning. :)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2022, 09:42:29 AM »
Thanks Will - that reinforces my instincts. It will indeed be interesting to see if the rising humidity makes a difference. (The car is garaged, which just might be a factor, drier in there etc.) If I have a problem in France I shall just have to Google-translate 'squeaky suspension bushes' ...

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2022, 04:03:47 PM »
Just to report back on this, a bit of French mizzle and generally being out of the garage did indeed largely sort it, so it was clearly exacerbated by the very dry weather.