Author Topic: Condensation in boot? No sign of a leak.  (Read 2025 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Condensation in boot? No sign of a leak.
« on: 27 May 2021, 04:34:47 PM »
We are planning to go away to our grandsons wedding this weekend, so I went to tidy up my car and put some tools back in.  I keep most of them in the wheel well in the boot, in and around the full size spare wheel.

Today I lifted the floor and the top of the wheel, both metal and rubber were wet with condensation.  The same thing with some tools wrapped in poly bags. The bags were wet on the top, but not underneath.   I've not come across anything like this before.

It must be condensation because the underside of the lift-up floor is dry.  I cleared out the tools and there is no sign on any water ingress, drips or runs.  There is a roll of blue paper towels on the floor of the wheel well and they are bone dry.  The left side "shelf" has the spare DI unit wrapped in cloth. That is dry.  The right hand shelf has my socket set wrapped in a boiler suit.  That is completely dry.

I don't think there is any water getting in anywhere else.  The windows aren't steaming up since I sealed the new windscreen. And there are no bottles of fluid in the boot that could leak.

The wet part of the wheel in the picture is directly under the lifting floor, so no direct drips. 

I'm at a bit of a loss.  Any ideas?
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
Re: Condensation in boot? No sign of a leak.
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2021, 12:03:20 PM »
Looks like condensation to me. The varying VERY wet and bright VERY sunny days plays havoc with car interiors. IMHO
Usually a short drive will force air around the car (any excuse to drive your SAAB) but if stood for a few days you will get this.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Condensation in boot? No sign of a leak.
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2021, 03:37:30 PM »
It's getting the run to Warwick tomorrow.  I'll keep an eye on it.

The car has done 450 miles since the MOT last November!! :o  It was doing more than that in a week when I was working!
« Last Edit: 28 May 2021, 04:48:03 PM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.