Author Topic: What to do???  (Read 32637 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
What to do???
« on: 12 October 2015, 08:02:30 PM »
Well chaps - I just don't seem to be getting on well with this Passat I have now. Nothing really wrong with the car but I don't think either it suits me or I suit it????????

The ride is still very hard and I'm thinking of my back as I get older so it may have to go. I'm pretty sure I know of a new owner for it which leaves me wondering???????????

I would still like a Subaru Legacy in diesel form but all seem either engine problems (thro poor maintenance I suspect) or galactic miles................... Can't find a Volvo V50 with low miles and so on.

However there appear to be a few 9-3 estates in either Aero or Vector Sport guise 1.9 Ttid's for my sort of money so I thought I throw it out there to see what folks think. I assume both have the same sport chassis so ride would be comfy but Aero obviously has the better kit.....................over to you chaps to discuss :)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: What to do???
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2015, 10:29:52 PM »
The later 9-3 is better, but the earlier cars with sport suspension were a bit harsh.  You could plan to get the Aero and fit a set of Eibach springs.  Much more comfortable! :)

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2015, 08:26:43 AM »
You're not going to be happy until you get back into a Saab Jim, so go for it  ;D

Our CR-V is due at the dealer on Friday, with collection either next Monday or Tuesday, so it will be interesting to see how that works for us after the Aero!

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2015, 08:33:27 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 1.9Ttid a different engine and more reliable than the normal 1.9 Tid 150?

One of the Ttid's I've seen is 08 reg with Sat Nav and even roof bars. 102k miles and full dealer history and 2 owners. I always look at tyre make with the thought 'if they fitted cheap tyres then what else have they compromised'. This car has near new Conti's all round....................

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2015, 10:30:14 AM »
The 1.9 TTiD is basically the same engine as before, but modified a bit.  All modern diesels are horribly complicated to my eye.  The original diesel was a very simple thing that could run on virtually any old oil.  But they were noisy and smoky.  All the complexity is to overcome the noise and smoke.  The extra add-on emissin control bits were added in a rush to comply with some political imperative, and they are still trying to get it all to work.  It's better but not there yet.

We had a Mercedes diesel years ago. It was a simple non-turbo one.  I hated it.  Would never have another diesel.  Far too expensive to run. Just about viable if someone else is picking up the repair bills during the warranty period, but completely non-viable as a high mileage second hand purchase.

Exhaust gas recirculation sends gummy gluey stuff back into the inlet.  The control valve sticks.  There are swirl flaps in the inlet manifold that stick and break due to the gummy stuff.  The exhaust is filthy enough to need filtering which is more gummy/gluey sludge that blocks the exhaust.  The turbo has moving vanes inside to improve the efficiency.  There are two turbos and all the gummy/gluey stuff goes through them. The whole thing is a Heath Robinson pile of poo.

In my opinion of course!! :)

My friend has a 2.0T XWD estate and loves it.  High in the air and comfy and fast, with low roof rails.  Looks nice.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2015, 10:32:02 AM by sgould »
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2015, 10:53:16 AM »
Oooooo - I take it you don't like diesels then Will??

I now seem to be doing long distance drives again and like the economy. I like the idea of being north of 40 mpg instead of south of it. I did work out that if my T5 camper had been petrol the fuel cost for my sons trip round europe would have been an extra £220. Even my trip to Mull and Skye wold have set me back a further 130 quid and maintenance cost on it is same as petrol version.

My wife now does over 15k a year and her 1.6 TDi Golf SE delivers an average of 59mpg with mix of driving. My younger sons 1.6 petrol averages 38. The Golf is cheap to maintain but I realise parts could be expensive....................

Chap who works on my Passat has a 55 plate 9-3 Aero saloon and the ride is wonderful. He got it cheap with only 71k on the clock but is moaning that he's only getting around 24 mpg normal driving. Having said that he's now going to work on a re-map to improve that.

The Passat is easy drive and constantly averages low 50's but then I no longer have a DPF and EGR is blanked with remap so tank seems to stay full for a long time.

I've always liked the TTiD estates and assumed suspension is exactly the same for Vector Sport and Aero. You mention putting Eibachs on them? Does it make it more comfortable or just firmer?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2015, 11:52:53 AM »
I can only say that removing emissions control equipment from a VW in the current climate is "very brave" :o

The Vector Sport usually, but not necessarily, has sport suspension like the Aero.

The Eibachs do the impossible, lower the car a bit and make it more comfortable.  However my experience is on an early car and Saab changed the suspension themselves a bit in the later models.  I nearly sold the 9-3 as the suspension was rattling my teeth, but after the Eibachs went on, we kept it for 12years.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2015, 02:52:13 PM »
The TTid's, available from MY08u onwards, are quite a different beast.

The engine while basically the same 1920cc Fiat Power Train unit, is in fact completely different from the Z19DTH 16v 150bhp unit ..

Inlet
Exhaust
Turbos (no vanes in them)
block,
crank,
rods,
Pistons
Inlet and Exhaust valves
sump,
oil cooler
water pump
injectors
glow plugs
head
EGR and cooler system
swirl flap system
+ loads more

All completely different.

Try a 9-3 Aero TTid wagon and see what you think!

We have 3 2008 TTid saloons and love them.

Think about blanking the EGR and having mapped out.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2015, 03:37:19 PM »
Just had letter saying wife's Golf is affected and will be sorted at no cost blah de blah etc but Passat is 2007 so not affected and remap gives lower emissions than with DPF!

Wrighar - I thought that was the case with TTid's. What about the ride. Does it still need the Eibach's for smoother ride or is it smooth already? I know you've never had problems with your's which is why I'm looking at them. As you say I must go and try one if I can find one locally.

Mind you looking at projected weather forecast and all the doom and gloom I need a Subaru but there is only one diesel Outback in the region and that is Eaton Motors in Norwich but he does want top end book price for it - ok it has got Constitution Motors history which means it should be ok. Only downside I found wit my Legacy (same inside at Outback) was passenger seat didn't have much adjustment and wife found it hard to get comfy. Drivers is all electric with mem....................... ho hum

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2015, 06:59:41 PM »
Forgot to say... the auto's have a split second 'lag' before taking up from stationary which can take a bit of getting used too...

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2015, 11:47:24 PM »
Put a set of winter tyres on one of these. :) This is my friend's 210 hp 2.0T Aero XWD 9-3 estate.  But they do a 180 hp TTiD for those who insist on a diesel ;)  Same four wheel drive system as the TurboX and Carlsson.

Nice low level roof bars too. :)

Mark Arnold has just sold a diesel version, and there are others about.  http://www.markarnold.co.uk  Keep a eye on his site.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2015, 11:50:08 PM by sgould »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2015, 08:23:11 AM »
But they do a 180 hp TTiD for those who insist on a diesel ;)  Same four wheel drive system as the TurboX and Carlsson.

The diesel was never adapted to work with XWD in the 9-3 so unfortunately it's not an option.

Anyway, I've not had a chance to do the figures again but I have heard of (and saw) a couple of expensive mishaps with the TTiD (diesel in sump and engine running off it until destruction), but then again I would be unlikely to buy a diesel car unless I was doing huge mileage. The numbers just don't add up until you get over 12,000 miles a year. Conversely one of the cheapest Saab's to buy and own a few years ago if you were doing a low mileage was the 2.8 V6 as people didn't want them you could pick them up very cheaply compared to the diesel, they (generally) don't go wrong in expensive ways so the money you saved on buying and repair meant you could afford the extra fuel and tax!

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2015, 09:05:38 AM »
Hmmm............... seems very nice but out of my pricing region.

I found this petrol version on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-3X-SportWagon-XWD-4x4-NO-RESERVE-PRICED-TO-SELL-/171965385120?hash=item2809ef89a0

And then (Audax) found this TTiD version as well on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-SAAB-9-3X-1-9-TTiD-5dr-/272010216527?hash=item3f5512844f say 4 wheel drive.

There are 9 on Autotrader of which 4 are TTiD4's. One petrol 210hp one 11 plate for some reason was just under 6k and is now £5k???? 133k miles - why so cheap?????

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
The first ad is odd and conflicting. The title says "priced to sell-no reserve" yet the bidding says "reserve not met"

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2015, 12:11:48 PM »
And then (Audax) found this TTiD version as well on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-SAAB-9-3X-1-9-TTiD-5dr-/272010216527?hash=item3f5512844f say 4 wheel drive.

Unfortunately the advert is wrong, TTiD was never adapted to XWD on the 9-3. See http://www.saabsunited.com/2009/02/the-truth-about-the-saab-9-3-xwd-and-diesel.html for more detail, it was however available on the NG9-5.