Author Topic: Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) security screws.  (Read 10871 times)

skos

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • Always Pay it Forward! 2007 2.8L 9-3 Aero converti
    • View Profile
Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) security screws.
« on: 12 August 2012, 11:38:04 PM »
Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) security screws.

I love it when manufactures make it so complicated. 

I went to clean my Mass Air Flow Sensor today and fond a specially security screws attaching it.  It’s a 5 point (not the normal 6 point) security star.  Good luck finding that bit anywhere.

I took it off with a small channel locks and replaced the 2 screws with 10 x 1 Phillip with a built in washer.  Now I can clean it again very easily.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) security screws.
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2012, 11:46:14 PM »
You can get a set of 5 point torx security on ebay for about £7, anyhow the reason they do that is because you're not supposed to clean a MAF, it usually causes more problems than it solves.

skos

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2012, 12:37:54 AM »
My neighbor is a mechanic.  He has been cleaning them for years.  If you know what you’re doing there are no issues.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2012, 08:43:31 AM »
The other point I forgot to make last night was that to clean a MAF you don't need to take it apart, just spray with MAF cleaner through the housing.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2012, 11:16:11 AM »
I bought a big set of lots of security screw bits from Maplins for very little money.  Not the most fantastic quality, but fine for very occasional use.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

skos

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2012, 12:30:03 PM »
Wait 1st you said “because you're not supposed to clean a MAF” then you said “don't need to take it apart”.  Really?  Have you seen one on a 2007 Aero?  Or any other car for that matter? 

The MAF, mass air flow sensor is located on the air inlet. This sensor tells the computer the condition of the air flowing into the engine.  There are two common types of mass airflow sensors,   vane meter and the hot wire.

To clean it you need to take it out of the assembly so you can spray the sensor.
Saab mechanics clean these all the time.  The MAF on a 2007 Aero is located right behind the front grill.  Just make sure you use a can of MAF cleaner and let it dry complexly before reassemble. 

Here are a pic or the sensor and the assembly.

http://cdn1.autopartsnetwork.com/images/catalog/wp/full/W01331598850BOS.JPG

http://www.expressauto24.net/WebRoot/StoreES3/Shops/eb8978/4CE5/1726/8B42/5BF6/C0EB/D94C/9B1E/5914/t180b.jpg

Sorry if I insulted you but we are here to help each other. Telling someone you can’t clean it or improperly clean it does not help anyone.

This is a fairly easy task.  Just be careful and don’t tighten the sensor down too much.  Remember you are screwing into plastic. 

« Last Edit: 13 August 2012, 12:37:25 PM by skos »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
I'm well aware of what they look like and what you're supposed to do with them, I've worked as a Saab mechanic in the past. I've seen more problems caused by people cleaning MAF sensors than it has solved, that's why I suggest you don't clean them.

Geoff 9-3

• Saabisti
  • 2000 9-3 Viggen Vert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2012, 10:53:37 AM »
Hi i'm new to the forum "Hello" I find with the performance air-filters the ones that you spray oil on, tend to leave a oily film on the maf sensors. so do need cleaning. But with normal filters and clean filtered air there shouldn't need regular cleaning.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
Hi Geoff and welcome! 8)