Author Topic: Rear washer cleaning wheel arch  (Read 1691 times)

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
Rear washer cleaning wheel arch
« on: 08 February 2020, 10:19:07 PM »
I've had the common blocked rear jet problem which I thought we'd solved, only for it to return to a dribble. On going back to the front of the car I found two puddles, front and rear of the LH wheel and sure enough, there is a leak where the clip holds the hose over the wheel.

The problem is how to get to it? I've had a look on WIS, EPC and the forum but not found any information other than it's a 6.4m length hose. I'm planning on junctioning the pipe rather than replacing all the way to the wiper as I'm limited on time at the moment. Do I have to remove the wing to get to the hose? If so, is there anything I need to watch out for so I don't cause other problems? I'll be working in the back lane so don't have anywhere to store the panels and will need to refit the same day.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Rear washer cleaning wheel arch
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2020, 08:50:11 AM »
The windscreen washer bottle is located in the front of the left hand wing, similar position to the air filter on the right.

There is a myriad of pumps and hoses feeding the front wipers, rear wiper and headlamp wash, most of which are hidden by the inner wing. You should be able to get to them by removing the plastic inner liner.

From your description I suspect the blockage has forced a hose to unseat from a plastic connector. Refit and perhaps secure with a small tie wrap.

One word of caution...... the 10mm plastic bolts that hold the inner wing on tend to be bonded with rust to the screw from the wing. You could try using some proper penetrating oil, but I suspect the captive screw will still snap, so next time I do this job i have decided I will probably cut the plastic bolt off, leaving the screw thread intact and capable of being reused.

Good luck
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Rear washer cleaning wheel arch
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2020, 05:32:20 AM »
Thank you for the information. I had the headlight and could see it leaking from where the hose is clipped at the top of the wheel arch. There was white visible at one side which in retrospect could well be a junction where the hose as popped off. Weather permitting I'll give it a go tonight.