Author Topic: Anyone recommend a trusted PPI reclaim company?  (Read 3925 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Anyone recommend a trusted PPI reclaim company?
« on: 19 February 2019, 04:45:10 PM »
Myself and the missus need to do a PPI reclaim before it is too late.  However, over the years, I have switched mortgages, credit cards, and bank accounts many times, and I no longer have a lot of the paperwork for a lot of it. We also had a new car finance agreement a while back, and I cannot remember who it was with. And that's just me - then there is the missus's accounts/credit cards and loans etc.

I'm not too bothered about one of these companies taking a fee (the lower percentage the better of course), if they do all the running around and tracking down all my cards/mortgages/loans/bank accounts from through the years. I don't have time to guess all the companies I'd need to write to, on the off chance I may have used them some years back, and then actually write to each and every one!!!

So has anyone used a PPI claim company they were really happy with, and who didn't charge the earth for the service?

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recommend a trusted PPI reclaim company?
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2019, 06:58:56 PM »
You still have to give names of the banks/finance companies/etc you might remotely have had dealings with to the rip-off merchants claims companies. The ROMs can't do anything without that. How could they?

Don't, DON'T, sign up with any of them. Just contact every company you can think of that you might have had dealings with, using the excellent Martin Lewis link wrighar posted. You don't need account numbers, branch addresses, etc. - just your names and likely addressses at the time.
Even if you miss a couple, any refund you get will likely beat the 20% (PLUS VAT) that claims companies charge. These people are worse than the organisations that sold the PPI in the first place.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2019, 07:02:07 PM by Geoff1951 »

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
I've just done it with a company called Allay and it was very simple. I simply didn't have the time or patients to do it myself - sorry Geoff

You start by ticking boxes of different name banks and card companies and provide them with all your past addresses and couple of other things and they get on with it.

Ok you pay 24% but I thought well that's small amount to pay if they find something so nothing to loose as also no win no fee. I ticked various boxes including banks I didn't use and started the claims end Nov. End Dec I had e-mails from them saying I did have PPI with not only Egg but Barclays and even an old Lloyds bank account to!!!

I only needed to provide a few more bits of information and got a nice letter from Lloyds saying they'd upheld my complaint and the claim amount would be forwarded to me within 28 days. I then had letter from Barclays saying the same except with a cheque attached.................

I had only expected to get back about £300 thinking 'well it's worth a try but not to expect much' and 24% seems a lot but I still get something I wouldn't if I hadn't tried................. I actually got back a total of nearly £10k after they'd had their 24% - I called them to make sure it wasn't a joke but no it was true.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
Blimey, Jim.
I'm always ready to be proved wrong.

A couple of decades back I was a lending manager with a big High St bank. My reluctance to push PPI with loans was one of the reasons I missed my sales targets. I never regretted acting in my customers' interests on the many occasions when PPI was not going to be a worthwhile benefit. But I had many cases when it was definitely the right thing for the customer.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2019, 12:00:37 PM »
I was truly shocked Geoff but when you look at the 8% interest they add since account was closed it really does add up.

I thought it might simply be something for nothing but wow - the shock was big and I quickly cleared my current card balance (not much but worthwhile). My eldest is now a mortgage adviser at RBS and he had a bad time when in his late teens early 20's with bank loans, cards and the like. Life changed dramatically when he met his finacee at 27 years old and his lift turned a massive corner and he's now doing well. He's now doing the same with Allay checking Santander etc and so far it's looking quite a decent sum for him!!

I do know there is a website called I think Resolver that gives free advice for people to do claims themselves but you have to have time for that which I didn't - first time in my life something actually worked!! New all season tyres on the X Trail to start with!